This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7363 / 50°44'10"N
Longitude: -1.7802 / 1°46'48"W
OS Eastings: 415606
OS Northings: 92982
OS Grid: SZ156929
Mapcode National: GBR 55B.LS0
Mapcode Global: FRA 7754.D8V
Entry Name: The Former Watch and Clock Fusee Chain Factory
Listing Date: 12 February 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1108213
English Heritage Legacy ID: 101398
Location: Christchurch, Dorset, BH23
District Council Ward: Town Centre
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Christchurch Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
1. (South West Side)
The former Watch and
Clock Fusee Chain Factory
SZ 1592 1/66
SZ 1592 1A/66
1845. Founded and built by William Hart. In use for the manufacture of Watch
and Clock chains until 1899. Christchurch was the most important centre for
this industry which was also carried on in the workhouse and as a domestic or
cottage industry. Red brick with grey headers. Slate root. 2 storeys.
North-east or entrance facade has plaque giving ante in gable end, 2 windows and
vehicle doors below. North-west, or side, elevation has 7 bays with brick
pilasters between. Slate hinging above windows which are mostly of 3 lights each,
those of ground floor with cambered arches. All with glazing bars. South-west
end facade rendered.
The Priory Garage, the former Watch and Clock Fusee Chain Factory and
Nos 22 and 24 form a group of which the Priory Garage is a building of
Listing NGR: SZ1560692982
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings