This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.4444 / 50°26'39"N
Longitude: -3.7167 / 3°43'0"W
OS Eastings: 278200
OS Northings: 61910
OS Grid: SX782619
Mapcode National: GBR QK.DJVQ
Mapcode Global: FRA 373W.7TV
Entry Name: Yarner Barn
Listing Date: 9 February 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1108349
English Heritage Legacy ID: 101020
Location: Dartington, South Hams, Devon, TQ9
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Dartington
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Dartington St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX7861 - SX7961 Yarner Barn
Barn converted into a house. Probably C17, converted into a house in 1931
to 1932 Rex Gardner and R Heming for the Dartington Hall estate for the use
of P Elmhurst the brother of L K Elmhurst. Rendered local limestone
rubble. Thatched roof, hipped at right hand end and half-hipped at left
hand end, and with pronounced camber to the ridge and slightly eyebrowed
eaves. The rear wing has a slate hipped roof with an axial ridge stack
with a rendered shaft and lowered concrete pot rising from the back wall of
the main building.
Plan: Originally a barn on an east-west axis, the left hand east end built
into the hillside with access at the first floor level in the left end wall
to the barn; below the barn there was probably originally a shippon. In
1931 to 32 the whole building was converted into a house and extended. The
barn entrance was retained as the main entrance of the higher left hand end
giving access to an entrance hall which leads to the principal living room
on the first floor while the bedrooms are on the ground floor and an
integral tool shed under the entrance hall. The extension consists of a
rear service wing; the ground floor a garage and the first floor a kitchen
and servants flat. The garage had since been converted to the kitchen.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical range with 4 first floor windows and 2
doorways and 4 ground floor windows not aligned under the first floor
windows. C20 2 and 3-light metal-frame casements with leaded panes and
slate cills. Doorway slightly to right of centre with C20 metal frame
glazed double doors and slated canopy and a narrow doorway to left to the
toolshed with a plank glazed door.
At the left hand end approached from higher ground level a wide first floor
doorway with rough timber lintel and C20 double doors.
At the right hand of the rear wall a circa early C17 wooden 4-light
chamfered mullion window with mason's mitres, 2 of the mullions are
missing. At the centre of the back a wide hipped roof wing with steps in
the right hand angle giving access to the first floor doorway.
Interior: The entrance hall is lined in veneered flush panelling and the
wide doorway into the principal first floor room has double folding doors
which slide into the walls on either side. At the rear east end of this
large first floor room a slightly raised dais as in a great hall. At the
back of this room a wide low fireplace with splayed jambs, a cambered
concrete lintel and a chamfered timber shelf on stone corbels.
Roof: 7 bays at the right hand end have trusses with collars halved and
pegged to the faces of the principals, the apexes halved and lapped. At
the west end there is one earlier cloud truss with a morticed collar and
threaded purlins and threaded diagonal ridge-piece. There is a hip cruck
at the west end, its foot cut off over the entrance doorway. The feet of
all the other trusses are straight and set in the wall tops.
Listing NGR: SX7820061910
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings