History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Meynell Langley

A Grade II Listed Building in Kirk Langley, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9546 / 52°57'16"N

Longitude: -1.5543 / 1°33'15"W

OS Eastings: 430042

OS Northings: 339788

OS Grid: SK300397

Mapcode National: GBR P02.F6

Mapcode Global: WHCFG.3Z4S

Entry Name: Meynell Langley

Listing Date: 13 February 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1109097

English Heritage Legacy ID: 78915

Location: Kirk Langley, Amber Valley, Derbyshire, DE6

County: Derbyshire

District: Amber Valley

Civil Parish: Kirk Langley

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Kirk Langley St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Kirk Langley

Listing Text

SK 33 NW PARISH OF KIRK LANGLEY LODGE LANE
6/75 (south Side)
Meynell Langley
13.2.67 II
Small country house. Late C18, remodelled 1806-7, two bays to east
added in 1818, two bays to west added 1829. South front 1829 by
Francis Goodwin. Red brick, partly faced in sandstone ashlar. Plain
tile hipped roof, various brick stacks. Two storeys. Symmetrical
nine bay south elevation of 2-1-3-1-2 bays, each stepped back slightly
from the centre. Entablature to centre part, stepped down to
blocking course on each side. First floor sill band to centre five
bays. Central portico on coupled Ionic columns, entablature
continued on either side, with pilasters at the angles. Doorway
with moulded architrave and half glazed double doors, flanked on
each side by four plain sashes, all with decorative valancing.
First floor has nine plain sashes, the centre three with moulded
architraves. Brick service wing to rear, probably C18. Interior:
Staircase hall formed in 1806, with two segmental arches and an
open well between with delicate iron balustrade. Cantilevered stone
staircase with wreathed and ramped handrail and cast iron balusters,
alternately plain and decorated. Jacobean style chimneypiece and
panelled dado. Heraldic stained glass in the staircase window,
mostly C19 but some of it earlier. Library to east with Adamesque
white marble and Blue John chimneypiece. Fitted mahogany book-
shelves. Dining Room beyond has a Hoptonwood stone chimneypiece
with Tuscan columns. Segmental arch to servery. Grecian pelmets
with acroteria, in both Library and Dining Room. L-plan Drawing
Room with segmental arch and two reeded marble chimneypieces.
Variety of plaster cornices.


Listing NGR: SK3004239788

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.