This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.914 / 50°54'50"N
Longitude: -2.2353 / 2°14'7"W
OS Eastings: 383553
OS Northings: 112750
OS Grid: ST835127
Mapcode National: GBR 1YL.RMY
Mapcode Global: FRA 666P.GZ0
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 4 October 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1110263
English Heritage Legacy ID: 103092
Location: Child Okeford, North Dorset, Dorset, DT11
District: North Dorset
Civil Parish: Child Okeford
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Childe Okeford
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 8312 CHILD OKEFORD THE CROSS
9/5 Church of St Nicholas
Parish church, late 15 or early C16 west tower. Remainder of fabric 1850 and
1878-9. Chancel refitted 1911. 1878-9 work by T H Wyatt. Chancel refit by
Wippell and Co. Tower in greensand ashlar. Remainder of church in flint with
stone and ashlar dressings. Tiled roofs with stone copings. Plan: nave, chancel,
west tower, north and south aisles, south chapel and north chapel/organ chamber/
vestry. Tower: 2 stages with plinth and embattled parapet; south vice turret;
diagonal 4-stage buttresses; corner gargoyles to parapet string; moulded
4-centred west doorway in square surround with cusped spandrels and returned
label; pointed 5-light Perpendicular west window with returned label; 2-light,
square headed belfrey windows with Perpendicular tracery and wooden louvres;
5-light, Perpendicular, pointed south aisle, west window. South aisle, south
windows of 2 lights with square heads, perpendicular tracery and returned labels.
South aisle, east window of 3 lights with pointed head and returned label. Chancel
south wall has 2 pointed 2-light windows with curvilinear tracery and returned
labels. East chancel window of 5-lights with Perpendicular tracery and returned
Libel. North chapel/organ chamber/vestry windows are of one and 2 lights with
Perpendicular tracery and square heads with returned labels. The east wall
window is of 2 lights with a pointed head and Perpendicular tracery. It may be
C15 reset. The north aisle, north wall windows are of 2 and 3 lights with
curvilinear tracery under square heads with returned labels. The west wall
window is pointed with 3 lights and Perpendicular tracery. The south porch is
gabled with a pointed, moulded doorway and C19 sculptured figures in the apex.
3 bay pointed nave arcades on octagonal piers with moulded caps. Moulded, pointed
chancel arch with marble attached respond shafts. Heavily moulded, pointed
chancel arcades with clustered marble shafts. Pointed tower arch of 2 chamfered
orders dying into responds. Nave and north aisle roofs have hammer-beams,
arch-braced collars with king-posts and wind-braced purlins. The south aisle
has a similar roof but with struts in place of a king-post and no wind-bracing.
Chancel and south chapel have ribbed plastered roofs. Chancel is faced in marble.
Marble pulpit with open, ogee-headed panels.C19 piscina. CI3 circular font with
roll-moulded base on cylindrical stem and moulded pedestal. (RCHM, Dorset,
vol III, p 79/80, no. 1).
Listing NGR: ST8355312750
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings