History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

National Westminster Bank

A Grade II Listed Building in Sherborne, Dorset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9481 / 50°56'53"N

Longitude: -2.5162 / 2°30'58"W

OS Eastings: 363834

OS Northings: 116648

OS Grid: ST638166

Mapcode National: GBR MV.NDBX

Mapcode Global: FRA 56ML.TSJ

Entry Name: National Westminster Bank

Listing Date: 28 November 1950

Last Amended: 4 October 1973

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1110785

English Heritage Legacy ID: 103915

Location: Sherborne, West Dorset, Dorset, DT9

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset

Civil Parish: Sherborne

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Sherborne with Castleton Abbey Church of St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Sherborne

Listing Text

CHEAP STREET
1.
1625
(South West Side)
No 51) [National Westminster
Bank] (Formerly listed
as Snack Bar and G Ford's
Shop)
ST 6316 1/51 28.11.50.
II GV
2.
Corner block on south side of Abbey Road. Originally a late medieval timber-
framed building which was extensively restored in 1965. Facing Cheap Street
is a 3 storey gable end, oversailing at 1st floor level, the side walls
having stone corbels. 2 upper floors have modern timber- framing exposed.
4-light casements to lst floor, 1-light window above. Modern 4-light bank
windows inserted on ground floor. One moulded post with curved brace on
left hand side. Front facing Abbey Road is of stone rubble. 2 storey,
3 window front. Tile roof. Wood casements to 1st floor. Ground floor
has from left to right hand 1 2-light window, modern segmental headed doorway
with modern ledged and nail studded door, and a 4-light window. Internally,
an original doorway remains on the south side; a fireplace and a lst-floor
2-light window at the south end of the Cheap Street front were also both
discovered during the 1965 restoration. This building was at one time
the Tuck Shop used by Sherborne School and was known by the name of Noah's
Ark.

Nos 2 to 30 (even) and Nos 34 to 50 (even) form a group.


Listing NGR: ST6383416648

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.