Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2337 / 51°14'1"N
Longitude: 1.2669 / 1°16'0"E
OS Eastings: 628160
OS Northings: 153354
OS Grid: TR281533
Mapcode National: GBR W07.P3B
Mapcode Global: VHLGX.X842
Entry Name: Church of St Clement
Location: Goodnestone, Dover, Kent, CT3
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Listing Date: 11 October 1963
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 177925
Source ID: 1111748
TR 25 SE
3/64 Church of St
Parish Church, originally a chapel to Knowlton Court. C14/C15 origin, largely
restored 1855 by William White. Flint with plain tiled roof.Chancel and nave
only. The fenestration is largely C19 in Geometric and Perpendicular styles,
the west window the most unrestored (C15). Offset buttresses to nave and
chancel corners also survive pre-C19. Kneelered gables, bell cote and cross
finials all C19 with lozenge set clock face on west wall. Interior: west
end of nave stepped in and recessed from main body. Chancel stepped in with
chamfered arch on corbels . Plastered barrel roof with slender detached
ribs only touching ceiling at ridge line. Fittings: ogee headed piscina
and 2 C19 ogee headed niches on east wall. Turned baluster altar rail (possibly
given with new altar in 1716). Pulpit: C17 style, but probably early C20,
octagonal with arcaded panels and strapwork frieze, with ramped rail. Two
lower reading desks mid C19. Box pews, font and fittings, especially iron
corona lucis all mid C19. Wooden relief carved and painted arms of Charles II,
over the north door. Hatchment in chancel with 2 military banners. Stained
glass of 1850s and 1860s throughout the church. Monuments: in the nave,
Elizabeth Peyton, d. 1642. White and black wall plaque, with bowled oval
centre with palm fronds on swagged and scrolled base, with broken segmental
pediment over; two C18 or late C17 white oval cartouche wall plaques in
memory of Thomas Peyton, d. 1510, and John Peyton, d. 1560. In the chancel:
Samuel Peyton, d. 1623. Black and white wall tablet on bolection moulded
base with draped apron and Death's Head, with scrolled and lugged side pieces
with small festoons, and broken segmental pediment with Arms over. Thomas
Peyton, d.1610. Black and white and gilt wall tablet, with raised central
section to head, bracketed and festooned with scrolled sides and with bracket;
ears and 3 achievements Over. Both monuments erected by Thomas Peyton jnr.
Sir John Narborough and James Narborough, both d. 1707, in shipwreck off
the Scillies with Sir Cloudesley Shovel. His monument in Westminster Abbey
was, like this one, raised by Dame Elizabeth Shovel, the mother by previous
marriage of the 2 Narborough brothers, and wife of Sir Cloudesley. The
monument at Westminster certainly, this one probably, by Grinling Gibbons.
Standing monument in grey veined marble, with a tomb chest with whole panel
front of naval relief, a ship of the line being wrecked on rocks. On the
chest stand 2 large weeping putti and a plinth with the inscription, and
bearing 2 gadrooned urns. Opposite a similar monument of chest tomb to
Sir John Narborough, died 1688, with segmental headed and scrolled plinth
over to Lady Elizabeth D'Aeth, d. 1721, daughter of Sir John Narborough.
On the plinth is a lifesize relief medallion portrait of Lady Elizabeth,
no beauty. Erected by Sir Thomas D'Aeth, who is commemorated on the plaque
he raised before his own death in 1744 to Thomas D'Aeth, d. 1708 exhumed
from North Cray, and Elhannah D'Aeth, 1717, placed over the monument to
Lady Elizabeth D'Aeth. Black and white tablet on apron with brackets, fluted
pilasters and triglyph frieze and cornice with 2 oil lamp finials and central
Achievement. Sir Narborough D'Aeth, d. 1808. White wall plaque on fluted
base, with half-relief carving of draped canister-shaped urn supported by
an open book and Pelican in Piety, and with a weeping willow behind and above.
(See B.O.E. Kent II 1983, p. 368; see also Country Life, 39).
Listing NGR: TR2799453444
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings