History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Caversham Park (Bbc Records)

A Grade II Listed Building in Peppard, Reading

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4807 / 51°28'50"N

Longitude: -0.9587 / 0°57'31"W

OS Eastings: 472404

OS Northings: 176265

OS Grid: SU724762

Mapcode National: GBR QP4.QN

Mapcode Global: VHDWT.B1HQ

Entry Name: Caversham Park (Bbc Records)

Listing Date: 14 December 1978

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1113560

English Heritage Legacy ID: 39126

Location: Reading, RG4

County: Reading

Locality: Peppard

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire

Church of England Parish: Caversham Park Church

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Listing Text

PEPPARD ROAD
1.
5128
Caversham Park
(BBC Records )
SU 77 NW 15/551
II
2.
Rebuilt, possibly by J T Crews, after the fire of 1850 for William Crawshay,
a Welsh iron master, who had bought the estate in 1838. Of the early C18 house
of the Earl of Cadogan nothing remains, and very little remains of the works
by Mr Acres and Capability Brown in the Park. 3 storeys and basement. Ashlar
with iron frame. Ground floor rusticated with Doric frieze over. Piano nobile
above. 7 bays, outer wider with tripartite windows, divided by engaged Composite
columns (end piers). Dentil cornice, balustraded parapet. Glazing bar sash
windows with raised surrounds and bracket cills, pedimented on piano nobile
(alternately triangular and segmental). Flanking set back Ionic colonnades
of 1840 by J T Crews. 9 bays each with balustrade over, returned to east,
orangery to west. Various extensions to east (including chapel) and west (former
school rooms etc) and also to north-west which has a classical Doric portico
to linked lodge dated 1890. To rear of main house is an Ionic Porte Cochere
(now a reception room). Interior retains considerable decoration of the post-1850 house. Large central hall with 2 balustraded galleries, Doric on ground floor, Ionic on 1st floor. The best room is behind Crews West colonnade - arcaded with columned screen to west and apse colonnade to east. Elaborate decoration in the principal drawing room with enriched doorpieces and so on. Chapel altered. A landmark for the railway.


Listing NGR: SU7240476265

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.