Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1468 / 52°8'48"N
Longitude: -0.2429 / 0°14'34"W
OS Eastings: 520327
OS Northings: 251294
OS Grid: TL203512
Mapcode National: GBR J4X.CF2
Mapcode Global: VHGMT.Q9YK
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Location: Everton, Central Bedfordshire, SG19
County: Central Bedfordshire
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Listing Date: 26 November 1986
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 38386
Source ID: 1114064
EVERTON CHURCH ROAD
11/17 Church of St Mary
Parish church. Mid C12, late C14 or C15. Coursed ironstone and cobblestones.
Ashlar dressings. Clay tile roofs. Chancel, nave, N and S aisles, S porch, W
tower. Chancel: C12. C19 E window gable above it rebuilt. N and S walls
each have 2 plain round-arches lights with small outer reveals. At W end N
and S elevations have C15 2-light windows. C15 chancel arch. Nave: C12. 3-
bay round-arched arcades to both sides, with round shafts and scalloped
capitals. N arcade is slightly earlier. C15 clerestory and 3 quatrefoil
windows to N side and 3 square-headed windows to S, one of 2 lights, others
C16 and of 4 lights. N aisle: C12 W wall has reset round-headed light. E
wall has C16 2-light square-headed window N wall has 2 3-light windows, one
C16, other C19. These flank N doorway, with C12 internal arch and C15
external arch reworked C19. S aisle: C12 2-light E window is C15. 3-light S
windows are C19. C12 S doorway has scalloped capitals. C12 window reset in
rebuilt W wall. S porch: C15. Square-headed 2-light windows to N and S.
Pointed archway. Plain parapets to nave, aisles and porch. W tower: C15.
Formerly 4 stages, now only 3 since removal of bell-stage. Late C19 or early
C20 embattled parapet with corner finials. Ground stage has C19 3-light W
window. Interior: woodwork mostly C19, although nave roof appears to reuse
earlier timbers. C15 stone corbels to nave roof. Some Cl7 corbels with egg-
and-dart moulding. C19 octagonal font on squat columns. Nave has wall
monument to Sir Humphrey Winch, 1624. Alabaster and polychrome marble, partly
painted. Half figure in judge's robes within round arch. Chancel has marble
wall monument to Richard Astell, 1777, showing urn in front of obelisk, as
well as other late C18 and C19 marble wall tablets to Astell and Thornton
Listing NGR: TL2032751294
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings