This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4879 / 52°29'16"N
Longitude: -1.3708 / 1°22'14"W
OS Eastings: 442820
OS Northings: 287959
OS Grid: SP428879
Mapcode National: GBR 7MR.27Q
Mapcode Global: VHCT3.6Q5N
Entry Name: Wolvey Hall
Listing Date: 4 December 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1115792
English Heritage Legacy ID: 308901
Location: Wolvey, Rugby, Warwickshire, LE10
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Wolvey St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
WOLVEY HALL ROAD
SP48NW (North side)
4/35 Wolvey Hall
House. c.l676; remodelled 1889. Flemish bond brick with string courses and some
roughcast. Plain-tile roof; blue brick internal stacks and ridge stacks to rear.
Complex plan, with slightly-projecting cross wings. 2 storeys and attic;
6-window range. 2-bay centre has open porch in left angle. Segmental-arched
doorway and flanking openings. Pediment has coat of arms and dated 1676 and
1889. 6-panelled door and overlight in moulded surround. Leaded single lights to
left and right. Stone plaque above door records the history of the building and
its owners. 8-pane sash to right. Left wing has large canted ground-floor bay
window. Right wing has French window. Windows have gauged brick flat arches
throughout. First and second floors are symmetrical. 2-bay cross wings. Cross
windows with horizontal glazing bars throughout. Roughcast gables have 3-light
wood mullioned and transomed windows. Centre has 2 pedimented roof dormers;
2-light casements with horizontal glazing bar. Single-storey range to left has
crow-stepped gable. French window. Slate sundial above. Right return side of
main range has large panelled wood semi-circular oriel window with roughcast
base on carved corbel. Interior: panelled entrance hall. Open-well staircase.
Lower part, dated 1677 on vase panel on landing, has elaborate open scroll work
balustrade with moulded roundels, and newels with moulded square finials, and
openwork drop. Balustrade and gate across flight to cellar have large C17
twisted balusters. Upper part of staircase is OS with column-on-vase balusters.
Room to right has panelling and two C18 round-arched alcoves flanking boleciton
fireplace. Room to rear has fragments of C17 and earlier stained glass. Room to
left has old chamfered beam. Former open fireplace has moulded cornice and
fragments of old carvings. A first-floor room has chamfered beams.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.VI, p.281; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.480;
Peter Reid: Burke's and Savills Guide to Country Houses: Herefordshire,
Shropshire, Warwickshire, Worcestershire, p.187).
Listing NGR: SP4282087959
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.