This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4082 / 51°24'29"N
Longitude: -1.1713 / 1°10'16"W
OS Eastings: 457736
OS Northings: 168008
OS Grid: SU577680
Mapcode National: GBR 939.QP8
Mapcode Global: VHCZF.NV4W
Entry Name: Gatehouse and Flanking Blocks at Douai School
Listing Date: 10 November 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1117269
English Heritage Legacy ID: 39689
Location: Woolhampton, West Berkshire, RG7
County: West Berkshire
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Woolhampton
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
WOOLHAMPTON UPPER WOOLHAMPTON
SU 56 NE
3/14 Gatehouse And Flanking
Blocks At Douai School
Gatehouse and flanking school buildings. 1893-5 by F A Walters in a neo-Gothic
style. Red brick with stone dressings, plinth, corbel table and coped battle-
mented parapet; roof not visible. Free Perpendicular style. Gatehouse tower:
3 storeys. First and second floor windows with 2 cusped lights, those on
second floor arched with hoodmoulds, flanking 2 canopied niches with figures.
Central moulded 4-centered archway with hoodmould, and carved coats of arms to
each side above. 2 short brick walls projecting to each side with stone coping,
square piers, and finials with carved coats of arms topped by lamps. Left-hand
block: red brick with stone dressings and brick cill course; tiled roof with
central ridge stack and parapetted gabled semi-dormer to left with casement.
2 1/2 storeys. Three 2-light windows on each floor; first floor 2-light 4-centered
arched window to left with transom and Y-tracery. Right-hand block: red brick
with cill courses; tiled roof, and 2 gables with planted timbers and casements.
2 storeys and attic. 2 canted bays rising to first floor with coped parapets,
and mullioned and transomed windows. These buildings were built originally
for St. Mary's College. BOE; Berkshire, p. 312; Berkshire Architectural
Guide, Betjeman and Piper, Murray, 1949, p. 156.
Listing NGR: SU5773668008
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings