Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4241 / 53°25'26"N
Longitude: -2.105 / 2°6'17"W
OS Eastings: 393122
OS Northings: 391932
OS Grid: SJ931919
Mapcode National: GBR FXRV.28
Mapcode Global: WHB9X.M6VB
Entry Name: Church of St Mark
Location: Stockport, SK6
Locality: Bredbury and Woodley
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Listing Date: 11 October 1985
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 442174
Source ID: 1117378
SJ 99 SW WERNETH STOCKPORT ROAD
1/226 Church of
- St. Mark
Church. 1847-8.Shellard,for the Church Commissioners. Dressed stone, ashlar and slate
roofs. 3-sided gallery plan with small chancel and a west tower flanked by entrance
bays. 5-bay nave and aisles without clerestory. Projecting stone plinth, sill band,
eaves band, coped parapet and coped gables with octagonal corner pinnacles. Each bay
has paired lancets with colonnettes and a weathered gableted buttress (angled at corners).
Door in bay 1 with sundial above. The 5-stage tower has set-back buttresses which
are transformed at the fifth stage in octagonal corner columns to rise as ornate pinnacles
Clock in third stage and 2-light belfry openings with clock and parapet above. Chancel
with 3-light geometrical tracery east window and abutting lean-to vestry. 5-bay nave
has quatrefoil columns with moulded capitals and bases, 3-sided gallery with blind
arcading to parapet and an organ at the west, a double-chamfered chancel arch on corbelled
colonnettes and a hammer-beam roof. Chancel with-arch braced roof truss. Carved timber
reredos and pulpit.
Listing NGR: SJ9312291932
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings