History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of Sts Peter and Paul

A Grade II Listed Building in Caundle Marsh, Dorset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9177 / 50°55'3"N

Longitude: -2.4597 / 2°27'34"W

OS Eastings: 367783

OS Northings: 113234

OS Grid: ST677132

Mapcode National: GBR MX.QGNB

Mapcode Global: FRA 56QP.5LH

Entry Name: Parish Church of Sts Peter and Paul

Listing Date: 21 May 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1118863

English Heritage Legacy ID: 104798

Location: Caundle Marsh, West Dorset, Dorset, DT9

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset

Civil Parish: Caundle Marsh

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Caundle Marsh St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Holwell

Listing Text

ST 61 SE CAUNDLE MARSH CAUNDLE MARSH VILLAGE

2/75 Parish Church of
Sts Peter and Paul

GV II

Parish Church 1857 by R H Shout. Squared, coursed rubble with ashlar
dressings. Roof of plain and scalloped tiles; gable ends with stone
copings and cross finials. Plan: nave, chancel and north porch; bell
cote between nave and chancel. Nave windows each of 2 pointed, trefoiled
lights with labels. West nave window of 3-lights under 2-centred head
with label; 'decorated' tracery with 2 quatrefoils. Chancel windows each
of 2 rounded, trefoiled lights with returned labels. East chancel window
of 3-lights under a 2-centred head with label having carved stops;
'decorated' tracery with large trefoil. Diagonal buttresses at angles
and square set buttresses at division of nave and chancel. Coved ashlar
cornice. Porch is gabled, of open timberwork on a rubble case. South
chancel door has moulded 2-centred head with continuous jambs; label has
ballflower stops. Internal features: 2-centred, moulded chancel arch
springing from short respond shafts with capitals on carved angel corbels;
chancel rerearches are supported on free standing shafts; central mullions
of windows bear carved heads; north door has shouldered rere-arch;
waggon roof to chancel, arch braced collar roof to nave, both on ashlar
pieces; stone pulput of 1920 with fielded panels; possibly C2O
octagonal font with quatrefoils bearing floral motifs; stone altar rails
and dividing walls under chancel arch; C17 table tomb bearing coat of
arms set under 4-centred arch in north chancel wall; piscina in chancel;
various C19 and c2O monuments.
RCHM, Dorset, vol III, p 55, no 1. Newman J and Pevsner N, The Buildings
of England; Dorset, Penguin, 1972, p 132. Pitfield, F P, Dorset Parish
Churches A-D, Dorset Publishing Company, 1981, pp 155-6. Architectural
Plans with a few Sketches of Old Buildings by Mr Shout, Architect,
deposited in the County Museum, Dorchester.


Listing NGR: ST6778313234

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.