This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8014 / 50°48'5"N
Longitude: -2.6668 / 2°40'0"W
OS Eastings: 353109
OS Northings: 100421
OS Grid: ST531004
Mapcode National: GBR MM.YXWD
Mapcode Global: FRA 569Z.8WY
Entry Name: Hooke Court
Listing Date: 12 June 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1119415
English Heritage Legacy ID: 105454
Location: Hooke, West Dorset, Dorset, DT8
District: West Dorset
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Hooke St Giles
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 50 SW HOOKE HIGHER STREET LANE
2/129 Hooke Court
Country House in grounds, now St Francis School. Early and
later C17 south range, with rebuilding after Civil War fire.
C15 east range demolished 1965. North block, C18 addition to
main range, but with C19 refenestration. Coursed rubble-stone
walls on a chamfered plinth, divided by strings and C19 parapet.
Relieving arches over windows. Slate roofs with stone gable-
coping at left hand, and hipped at right hand. Stone stacks
at left hand gable, ridge centre and right hand end wall.
Three storeys. 5 windows to main west elevation, 3-light
stone-mullion windows, with 4-centred heads, regularly spaced
iron casements with single glass panes. Top storey windows
have square heads; one blocking with segmental head, right
of centre. 2 small blocked single lights. Porch at centre,
later C19 (probably 1873), ashlar diagonally-buttressed,
colonettes with capitals rising from set-off. Panelled parapet
with arms of Paulet at centre. 4-centred entrance arch in
square head, high label over. 2-leaf door with recess panels,
C19. South end wall, canted bay, 2 storeys, doorway with
keystone inscribed S 1873; one and two-light windows. Rear of
main block ashlar 6 windows with canted by at north end,
2-light cross-transomed (ovolos), C20 metal casements without
glazing-bars. No plinth. C15 east wing, all that survives is
4 metres of plinth moulding from main block, roll and hollow
chamfer under. North addition to main block, C18, much
altered C19. 2 storeys with pitched parapet at left hand,
3 windows, 2-light transomed windows with 4-centred heads,
canted bay at centre ground with moulded cornice and parapet.
Lower single-storey service range is included. Interior:
Fireplace in present staff room, late C15, brought in. Stone
with moulded jambs running into square head. Lintel block in
one. Three large quatrefoils in squares, left hand: patera;
centre: arms of Paulet; right, paterae. Roof construction of
main range: king-post with diagonal strutting and with iron
(RCHM Dorset IS, p126(2))
Listing NGR: ST5310900421
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings