This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3228 / 51°19'21"N
Longitude: 0.7627 / 0°45'45"E
OS Eastings: 592597
OS Northings: 161809
OS Grid: TQ925618
Mapcode National: GBR RTM.1MS
Mapcode Global: VHKJT.50LS
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 24 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1120902
English Heritage Legacy ID: 176340
Location: Rodmersham, Swale, Kent, ME9
Civil Parish: Rodmersham
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TQ 96 SW RODMERSHAM CHURCH STREET
2/131 Church of St Nicholas
Parish church. C13 chancel, C14 nave, C15 west tower, restored 1875-93
by S.S. Stallwood. Flint with plain tiled roofs. Nave and aisles, west
tower and chancel with south chapel. West tower in coursed and knapped
flint with 4 times offset digonal buttresses and plinth,string course,
cornice and battlements, and battlemented octagonal vice to south east.
C15 perpendicular lights, and double hollow chamfered and roll-moulded
west doorway. C19 south porch, with wrought iron outer gates. Aisles
with plinth and cornice to parapetted low pitch roof, with C15 Perpendicular
traceried lights. Gable-roofed south chapel with C14 decorated windows.
C19 Perpendicular style east window to chancel. Interior:double hollow
chamfered tower-arch partly obscured by organ loft. Three bay nave
arcade, with hollow chamfered and roll-moulded arches on octagonal piers
with moulded bases and caps. North and south arcades with variations in
moulding indicate different periods of build within C14. Roof of 4 crown-
posts, with moulded tie beams. Cross-beam lean-to aisle roofs. North aisle
with stair to(missing)rood loft. South aisle with double hollow chamfered
arch and hollow chamfered surround to chapel on octagonal responds. South
east chapel with 2 bay arcade of c.1200, now sedilia with billet roll
mould, attached shafts with debased capitals after the Bapchild manner
(see Church of St.Lawrence, Bapchild). Roof of 3 crown posts. Chamfered
2 bay arcade to chancel. Fittings:crocketed ogee headed piscina in south
aisle, trefoil headed piscina in chancel. Restored crenellated screen
from chapel to chancel, coved over 3 sedilia in the chancel to form a
canopy. Restored screen to chancel from nave. Sculptural fragment of
medieval coffin lid on east wall of north aisle. The altar, reredos,
brass altar rail, pulpit, octagonal font and reading desk are all C19.
(See B.O.E. Kent II 1983, 435).
Listing NGR: TQ9259761810
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings