Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0469 / 51°2'48"N
Longitude: 0.5124 / 0°30'44"E
OS Eastings: 576208
OS Northings: 130509
OS Grid: TQ762305
Mapcode National: GBR PTX.BCJ
Mapcode Global: FRA C6YC.5FB
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Location: Hawkhurst, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN18
District: Tunbridge Wells
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Listing Date: 22 June 1989
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 169772
Source ID: 1124178
HAWKHURST RYE ROAD
TQ 7630-7730 (south side)
17/422 Church of All Saints
Chapel of ease. 1861, by Sir G G Scott for Rev H E and Miss C Jennings. Sand-
stone with plain tiled roof and shingled spire. chancel, nave with aisles,
south-eastern tower and north porch. Exterior of uniform execution with plinth,
string course, offset corner buttresses and corbel table to parapet-gabled roofs
with cross finials. Paired cusped lancets with trefoils under single hood
throughout, with wheel window in western gable, and west window set in blind
arcading. Blind arcading also to chancel north wall. Tower of 3 stages with off-
set corner buttresses, lancette stair lights and recessed lancet belfry openings
with roundels over and corbel table to broach spire. Gabled north porch with
arcaded side walls (integral benches within) and moulded outer and inner doorways
with attached shafts and hoods and florid stiff-leaf decoration, the inner door
with good quality scrolled C-strap hinges. Interior: faced with sandstone
ashlar, with 4 bay arcades, the round piers with French influenced crockets and
with keel-moulded arches, with corbelled colonettes to responds. Open trussed
rafter roof. Roll and keel moulded chancel arch on corbels, and simple hood
moulded arches from south aisle and chancel to tower chapel. Sanctuary with blind
arcading with marble shafts and string course, windows with attached shafts.
Fittings: brass foliage bracketed altar rail and scrolled carved bench ends in
chancel. Brass lectern and enriched brass rail to stone pulpit with dogtooth and
water leaf enrichment and relief panels of Apostles. Columned stem. Fluted stem
and bowl font with inscription and Holy Dove. All fittings by Scott. Glass in
chancel by Clayton and Bell, 1861. See BOE, Kent, I, 1980, 316; see also
Victorian Churches of Kent, Roger Homans, 1984, 64.
Listing NGR: TQ7620830509
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings