History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Church House

A Grade II Listed Building in Hughenden, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6516 / 51°39'5"N

Longitude: -0.753 / 0°45'10"W

OS Eastings: 486365

OS Northings: 195490

OS Grid: SU863954

Mapcode National: GBR D4Y.GF8

Mapcode Global: VHDVY.WRR8

Entry Name: The Church House

Listing Date: 21 June 1955

Last Amended: 4 July 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1125744

English Heritage Legacy ID: 46572

Location: Hughenden, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP14

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Wycombe

Civil Parish: Hughenden

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Hughenden

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
High Wycombe

Listing Text

HUGHENDEN HUGHENDEN PARK
SU 89 NE

4/92 The Church House (formerly
listed as Almshouses
southwest of Church)
21.6.55

GV II

House, formerly almshouses. C17, altered and extended early C19,
refurbished C20. 3 centre bays have flint plinth, C19 chequer brick to
ground floor, and half-timbering with rendered infill and arched braces
above. Timber framing and brick to rear. Outer bays are brick and flint
extensions. All bays have small brick gables. Old tile roof, brick
chimneys to left and centre rear, the latter with 2 rebuilt diagonal
shafts. 1 1/2 storeys, 5 bays. C20 leaded casements, 3-light to ground
floor, 2-light in gables. Pairs of C20 board doors between bays 2 and 3
and between bays 4 and 5. All ground floor openings have C19 rendered
Tudor hoodmoulds linked by narrow rendered string. Small single-storey
extension to left. Stone plaque records endowment of Ellen, Countess
Conyngham, d.1816. Originally given as almshouses by Dormer family.
RCHM I.p.210. MON.2.


Listing NGR: SU8636595490

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.