Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7129 / 51°42'46"N
Longitude: -0.8747 / 0°52'28"W
OS Eastings: 477843
OS Northings: 202175
OS Grid: SP778021
Mapcode National: GBR C2P.FPT
Mapcode Global: VHDVP.S6FQ
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity
Location: Bledlow-cum-Saunderton, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP27
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Listing Date: 21 June 1955
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 46497
Source ID: 1125801
BLEDLOW-CUM-SAUNDERTON CHURCH END
SP 70 SE
1/17 Church of the Holy Trinity
Parish church. Originally C12, much rebuilt and enlarged C13, with
C14 S. porch. Roof altered early C16, all restored 1909. Flint with
stone dressings and lead roofs. W. tower, nave, aisles, S. porch and
chancel. W. tower is of 3 stages with gabled roof, plain parapet,
carved head corbel table, 2-light traceried openings to bell-chamber,
and small lancets to middle stage. On the W. side there is a
2-light traceried window over a moulded doorway. Flanking aisle bays each
have a single arched light to W., the S. bay with a 2-light traceried
S. window. Nave has a 3-bay clerestory of 3-light cusped windows,
all heavily restored. Traces of a blocked opening high at E. end of N.
clerestory. Aisles have moulded parapets and late C13 2-light
traceried windows. Central N. window altered with C14 reticulated
tracery; 2 S. windows also altered, the left with Y tracery, the
right a large C14 Decorated window of 4 lights with early C18 memorial
tablet below. E. bay of N. aisle is of a different build, possibly
incorporating remains of a C12 transept, and has C15 flat-headed window
in E. wall. N. doorway also C12 with semi-circular unmoulded arch
on moulded imposts. S. door has moulded arch of 3 orders, the outer
2 on shafts with stiff-leaf capitals. Large stoup to right. S. porch
has later moulded arch of 2 orders, the inner on semi-octagonal piers
with moulded capitals, and carved head corbel and sundial set into
parapet. Inside are stone benches and a moulded ceiling beam. Chancel
also has 2-light traceried windows, the N. side with 2 cusped lancets,
one transomed, the S. side with blocked semi-circular headed opening.
E. end of chancel has triple lancets with taller central light. C19-C20
buttresses, one with C18 memorial tablet. Interior: tower has
double chamfered arches to nave and aisles, the inner order on semi-
octagonal piers, with larger arch to nave. Nave has good early C13
arcades with 4 bays of unmoulded arches of 2 orders on circular piers
with variously carved foliage capitals. End arches on carved corbels.
Traces of wall paintings and painted texts above, the N.E. wall of
nave with painted panel of The Creed. C16-C17 nave roof. C19-C20
half arches divide main aisles from W. bays. N. aisle has altar recess
and clunch niche in E. wall; S. aisle has aumbry to left of door, 2
shallow tomb recesses with moulded 4-centred arches, piscina, and rectangular
recess with painted texts in E. wall. Both aisles have traces of wall
paintings, including figures of St. Christopher; and Adam and Eve.
C15 roofs with carved bosses. Chancel arch is similar to nave arcades
and rests on corbels with carved heads. Carved head corbels above support
early C20 rood. Chancel has moulded sill course incorporating remains
of 2 carved finials. Narrow trefoil recess in N. wall with brass to
William Hern, priest, 1525. Trefoil piscina with recess below. E.
window has fine internal treatment with stilted arches on slender shafts
with moulded caps and bases. S.E. window has similar shafts and carved
heads at imposts and apex. Fittings: fine C12 font of Aylesbury type
with carved frieze, fluted bowl, cable moulding and foliage in inverted
scallops on base; C15 eagle lecturn on early C20 stand; C17 altar
table in S. aisle; C18 carved wooden candlestick with claw-foot base;
late C19 stained glass. Pair of mid Cl8marble wall tablets to members of
the Crosse family on E. wall, both with scrolled pediments.
RCHM I.p. 51-55
Listing NGR: SP7783602172
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings