History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bledlow-cum-Saunderton, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7125 / 51°42'45"N

Longitude: -0.873 / 0°52'22"W

OS Eastings: 477964

OS Northings: 202132

OS Grid: SP779021

Mapcode National: GBR C2P.N3B

Mapcode Global: VHDVP.T7C0

Entry Name: Manor House

Listing Date: 21 June 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1125803

English Heritage Legacy ID: 46503

Location: Bledlow-cum-Saunderton, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP27

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Wycombe

Civil Parish: Bledlow-cum-Saunderton

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Bledlow with Saunderton and Horsenden

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Saunderton

Listing Text

SP 70 SE BLEDLOW-CUM-SAUNDERTON CHURCH END
(BLEDLOW)
1/23
Manor House
21.6.55

GV II*


House. circa 1670 core built for Blancks family; much extended c.1702 as
dated on chimney; altered c.1800 for the Carringtons. Brick, once
colourwashed, with moulded and guaged brick band course at first floor level,
the N.W. front with wooden modillion eaves cornice. Hipped old tile roofs,
brick chimneys with finely moulded cornices and neckings. H-plan.
2 storeys, cellars and attics. N.E. front has flanking projections with
traces of blocked openings, and 3 centre bays with large early C19 sashes,
raised attic storey, ground floor colonnade, and central door. Traces of
original 5-bay facade with red brick window dressings. N.W. front also
remodelled early C19, with 5 bays of sashes, 2 flat roofed dormers with
paired barred wooden casements, and central glazed doorway with large
fanlight. S.E. front is also of 5 bays with large sashes replacing cross
casements, 3 pedimented dormers with paired barred wooden casements, and
off-centre chimney. Irregular rear with lower roof-line and chimney of
C17 part to left of centre, and 2 projections, the right partly rebuilt,
the left having 2 blocked oval windows qith guaged surrounds. Interior:
splendid central staircase of c.1720-30 with slender fluted column and
twisted balusters, 3 to each tread, carved scrolls to string, and
moulded handrail; another staircase with late C17 twisted balusters in
N.W. wing; C18-early C19 panelling with raised and fielded overmantels
and overdoors; early C18 stone fireplaces; one fireplace of c.1670 with
bolection moulding, pulvinated frieze and cornice.


Listing NGR: SP7796402132

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.