This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3018 / 52°18'6"N
Longitude: 0.3895 / 0°23'22"E
OS Eastings: 563027
OS Northings: 269767
OS Grid: TL630697
Mapcode National: GBR N94.P97
Mapcode Global: VHJG9.PDSR
Entry Name: Fordham Abbey
Location: Fordham, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB7
District: East Cambridgeshire
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Listing Date: 1 December 1951
Last Amended: 31 January 1984
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 49041
Source ID: 1126354
TL 66 NW FORDHAM NEWMARKET ROAD
(formerly listed as
1.12.51 Fordham Abbey and Stabling)
Small country house mid C18 rebuilt from an earlier mansion
c.1710 on the site of the Gilbertine priory. Materials from the
earlier building are believed to have been re-used, a painted
panel in the over mantel of the entrance hall chimney piece
depicts the eleven 'bay' facade of the original house. William
Cole records the house being built c.1760 for William Metcalf.
Red brick with possibly lead roofs concealed behind a parapet on
each facade. Three storeys with basement, square plan with
recessed side entrance wing to south. Parapet with stone
coping, two stacks with moulded cornice. Eaves cornice of
moulded brick with dentils and plinth. Seven 'bays' to west
facing facade. Seven, second floor twelve-paned hung sash
windows in cambered gauged red brick arches, six similar first
floor windows with central round headed arched window and six
ground floor windows. Central six panelled door and fanlight
with semi-circular planned Ionic portico with stone steps.
Interior details include mid C18 raised and fielded panelling to
all ground floor rooms with original doors and doorcases, window
cases with panelled shutters. Very fine open string staircase
of two flights with barley-sugar twisted balusters, three to
each step, and moulded handrail overriding very finely carved
fluted newel posts with Ionic capitals. c.1710 and possibly a
survival from the original house.
William Cole, MMS, C.R.O.
Pevsner. Buildings of England, p.386
Sale Catalogue of Fordham Abbey Estate, 1929
Listing NGR: TL6302769767
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings