This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.3874 / 54°23'14"N
Longitude: -1.6128 / 1°36'46"W
OS Eastings: 425239
OS Northings: 499168
OS Grid: SE252991
Mapcode National: GBR KK5Q.M0
Mapcode Global: WHC6G.6Z7F
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 4 February 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1131521
English Heritage Legacy ID: 322316
Location: Bolton-on-Swale, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL10
County: North Yorkshire
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Easby with Brompton on Swale and Bolton on Swale
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 29 NE
5/6 Church of Saint Mary
Church. C14, C15 and C16, restored 1857. Restoration by G Fowler Jones.
Rubble with ashlar dressings, Westmorland slate roof. West tower, 3-bay
nave with aisles, south porch and north chapel, 3-bay chancel with organ
chamber and vestry to north. Tower: late C16. 3 stages. Diagonal
buttresses to west with carving to offsets. Stair turret in south-east
corner with light vents. Ground-floor west window: 3 trefoil-headed lights
below semicircular head with tracery in spandrels; label with head stops;
double-chamfered jambs. Light vents to north, west and south of ringing
chamber, Clock to west. Belfry openings: crossed cinquefoil-headed lights
with continuous decorated lintels, with hood-moulds. Ashlar battlements
with coats of arms. Porch: C19, gabled. Doorway of 2 chamfered orders.
Inner doorway: C14. Pointed arch, chamfered; label with large smiling heads
on stops. Aisle windows: C19; 2-lights with cinquefoil heads under
segmental arches. Flat-headed 3-light trefoil-headed east window with
reticulated tracery. Clerestory windows: C19 paired lights. Chancel: C15.
C17 chamfered, quoined, flat-headed priest's door, flanked by flat-headed 3-
light cinquefoiled windows. C19 3-light east window with reticulated
tracery. Vestry: hollow-chamfered, flat-headed, single-light east window.
C19 kneelers, coping and gable crosses. Interior: early C14 3-bay south
arcade, with double-chamfered pointed arches on circular columns with heads
on responds. North arcade: C19, 4 bays, matching that to south. C19
double-chamfered chancel arch. Tall double-chamfered tower arch, the inner
arch on angular responds. Ribbed vault to ringing chamber. North vestry:
C15. 4 chamfered ribs forming half of a pointed arch; hollow-chamfered
doorway with basket arch from chancel. Early C14 trefoiled piscina in south
aisle. Sanctuary: encaustic wall tiles by Eden Nesfield, 1877. Similar
tiling in Carpenter chapel, with bas relief plasterwork of 1905 depicting
agricultural and maritime scenes. Set in south wall at west end: parts of 4
medieval tomb slabs with elaborate crosses. Beside pulpit, part of Anglo-
Danish cross-shaft with rope moulding. C16 parish chest at west end of
nave. Monuments: large black marble tablet in architrave on south wall near
chancel arch, set up after 1743 to commemorate death in 1670 of Henry
Jenkins aged 169; on north wall of sanctuary, tablet with Latin inscription
to Rev John Noble, first headmaster of Scorton Grammar School (qv) d1767,
with frieze of books, and above cornice a bust flanked by distraught
cherubs; on north aisle wall, tablet to John Wastell of Scorton, Master in
Chancery d1659, and family; on east wall of north aisle, several monuments
to Crowe family of Kiplin, including Robert Crowe, d1818, by Taylor of York.
VCH I, p 156.
Listing NGR: SE2523999168
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings