History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Gayle Mill

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hawes, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2999 / 54°17'59"N

Longitude: -2.1995 / 2°11'58"W

OS Eastings: 387116

OS Northings: 489382

OS Grid: SD871893

Mapcode National: GBR FL2Q.MC

Mapcode Global: WHB5M.55WZ

Entry Name: Gayle Mill

Location: Hawes, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL8

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Parish: Hawes

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Listing Date: 25 March 1969

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 323144

Source ID: 1132000

Listing Text

In the entry for:

GAYLE
HAWES Gayle Mill
SD 88 NE
20/121
25.3.69
GV II

The grade shall be amended to read Grade II* (star)

------------------------------------

HAWES GAYLE
SD 88 NE
20/121 Gayle Mill
25.3.69
GV II
Cotton mill, now saw mill. c1784. Rubble, stone slate roof. 3 storeys, 6
bays. Quoins. In bay 3, leaved board doors under deep timber lintel, with
small wheels set in floor for movement of timber onto saw-bench inside.
Original 16-pane fixed-light windows mostly replaced by 8-pane windows.
Stack at end left, former bellcote at end right. Rear elevation: blocked
tail-race opening from wheelchamber in corner near stream with round arch of
rubble voussoirs and hood-mould; regular pattern of windows. Right return:
blocked doorway formerly giving access to axle of waterwheel in centre of
ground floor. Left return: first-floor end entry with leaved board doors.
Interior: 2 workable water turbines by Williamson of Kendal. The mill was
switched to spinning wool for the local knitting industry in the late C18,
and was converted to a saw mill in the C19. The overshot waterwheel was
replaced by turbines in the late C19. From 1919 - 1948 the turbines
supplied electric light for the village. James Alderson, Under Wetherfell
(1980), pp 132-3.


Listing NGR: SD8711689382

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.