History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II Listed Building in Rylstone, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0256 / 54°1'31"N

Longitude: -2.0446 / 2°2'40"W

OS Eastings: 397173

OS Northings: 458840

OS Grid: SD971588

Mapcode National: GBR GP5W.4P

Mapcode Global: WHB71.K2LR

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 10 September 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1132129

English Heritage Legacy ID: 324832

Location: Rylstone, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD23

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven

Civil Parish: Rylstone

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Hetton

Listing Text

RYLSTONE CHURCH LANE
SD 9658-9758
(north side)
15/78 Church of St. Peter
10.9.54
II
Church. 1853 by E.G. Paley of Lancaster. Coursed squared gritstone,
graduated stone slate roof. 3-stage west tower, 4-bay nave and chancel in
one, north and south aisles and south porch. In Gothic style. Tower: offset
diagonal buttresses; stair to south-east; Perpendicular-style west windows
of 3 lights with hoodmould to first stage, 2 lights to second, and to each
side of third stage a C15 - C16 style flat-headed 3-light window with
hoodmould; moulded crenellated parapet. Nave and chancel: Decorated-style
porch, and 2-light side windows with hoodmoulds; clerestory windows as
tower 3rd stage; 5-light Decorated style east window, Interior: porch side
benches are supported by fragments of cusped window tracery; octagonal
pillars to nave supporting double-chamfered arches; wide tower arch with
corbelled inner order; plain chancel arch; contemporary pulpit and font.
War memorial in chancel to Richard Waddilove Esquire of Rylstone who
bequeathed £1000 towards the rebuilding of the church, d.1850; another
Memorial to Abraham Maude, d. ?1876, who helped with the cost of rebuilding
the church school, schoolhouse and rectory at Rylstone.


Listing NGR: SD9717358840

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.