Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.8529 / 53°51'10"N
Longitude: -1.7148 / 1°42'53"W
OS Eastings: 418858
OS Northings: 439670
OS Grid: SE188396
Mapcode National: GBR JRGW.KK
Mapcode Global: WHC93.MFM3
Entry Name: Esholt Hall with Terrace and Adjoining Conservatory
Location: Bradford, BD17
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Listing Date: 4 September 1952
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 336412
Source ID: 1133190
5111 ESHOLT ESTATE
4.9.52 Esholt Hall
- with Terrace and adjoining
SE 1839 15/40
Built on the site of the Medieval Esholt nunnery, by Sir Walter Calverley in
1706-07. A remarkably sophisticated double pile house in a restrained renaissance
style, for this date in West Yorkshire. The mason was Joseph Pope of Fennley
(1673-1717). The 2-storey symmetrical elevations of finely detailed gritstone with
ashlar dressings, are raised on a terrace built on the lower stages of the nunnery.
Chamfered rusticated quoins, plinth, moulded plat band, simply carved modillion eaves
cornice and blocking course. Steep hipped slate roof (mound valley) with tall,
corniced, ashlar chimneys. The principal (and original entrance front) to the south
is of 7 bays the centre 3 breaking forward slightly under a modillioned pediment.
Tall gracefully proportioned windows with glazing bar sashes in architrave surrounds,
of equal proportions on both floors. Central, partly glazed, doorway in architrave
surround with segmental pediment on consoles. The east front has the 3 central bays
shallowly recessed, similar details to fenestration - finely carved consoles and
spray in frieze of corniced doorway to centre. The window above, in eared architrave
surround, is surmounted by an armorial panel with supporting sprays. The west front
has addition of mid C19 archivolt arched porch. Good rainwater heads with armorial
bearings in scrolled surrounds, clamps ornamented with the owl crest, and dated 1832,
(for the Stansfield family who purchased the estate in 1755). The interior
considerably altered in the C19 and subsequent to acquisition by Bradford Corporation
as offices for the sewage works. Part of the ground floor of the nunnery with
trefoil headed windows and groin vaulted roof, forms the cellars of the present
building under the ashlar faced terrace. Extending north of the east front is a
substantial circa 1840-60 conservatory, consisting of a taller central pavilion with
raised hipped glazed roof, flanked by lower wings. Narrow pane glazing to roofs,
glazing bar lights to sides.
Listing NGR: SE1885839670
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings