This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.8574 / 53°51'26"N
Longitude: -1.7247 / 1°43'29"W
OS Eastings: 418202
OS Northings: 440170
OS Grid: SE182401
Mapcode National: GBR JRDT.DY
Mapcode Global: WHC93.G9XN
Entry Name: Numbers 3 to 11 (Esholt Old Hall) and Adjoining Barn
Listing Date: 4 September 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1133252
English Heritage Legacy ID: 336274
Location: Bradford, BD17
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Guiseley St Oswald King and Martyr
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
5111 CHURCH LANE
4.9.52 Nos 3 to 11 (odd)
(Esholt Old Hall)
- and adjoining barn
SE 1840 14/46
Irregular building consisting of 2-storeys part rebuilt by the Sherbourne family in
the late C16, and taller 2-storey and attic portion under one large gable built in
the mid C17 by the Calverley's. Some late C18 and early C19 alterations on sub-
division into tenements. The Hall is built of large blocks of coursed gritstone.
Stone slate roofs, saddlestones to gables. Circa 1800 hipped roof to Nos 3 to 7,
the 2-storey part. Five light and 4 light chamfered mullioned windows with drip
moulds to mid C17 gabled section and 4 centred arched doorway in chamfered surround.
The altered 2-storey part, dating back to C16 and earlier, retains some chamfered
mullioned 2, 3 and 4 light windows with drip moulds but circa 1800 square mullioned
ones as well. C18 gabled stone porch as entrance to No 3. The rear elevation of the
Hall has 2 large gables with kneelers and stone gutter spouts. Mullioned and
transomed windows as well as chamfered 3 and 4 light ones. Late C18 or early C19
barn built on to rear with full height segmental archway. See "Ambler" Old Halls and
Manor Houses of Yorkshire. Remains of timber frame to C16 part with stud
partitioning, and altered king post roof trusses. The surviving timber frame may
well incorporate part of the medieval hall on this site.
Listing NGR: SE1820240170
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings