History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Harlington Manor

A Grade II* Listed Building in Harlington, Central Bedfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9629 / 51°57'46"N

Longitude: -0.4928 / 0°29'34"W

OS Eastings: 503653

OS Northings: 230451

OS Grid: TL036304

Mapcode National: GBR G42.VLR

Mapcode Global: VHFR0.DXVM

Entry Name: Harlington Manor

Listing Date: 22 October 1952

Last Amended: 3 May 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1137774

English Heritage Legacy ID: 38035

Location: Harlington, Central Bedfordshire, LU5

County: Central Bedfordshire

Parish: Harlington

Traditional County: Bedfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire

Church of England Parish: Harlington

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Listing Text

HARLINGTON

TL 0230 WESTONING ROAD

22/48 Harlington Manor
22.10.52 (formerly listed as Manor House)

II*

House. C16, reworked and extended C17 and C19, with 1937 addition by Sir
Albert Richardson. Belonged to Wingate family until C19 (including Edmund
Wingate, C17 mathematician and-tutor to Queen Henrietta Maria). Colourwashed
plaster render to whole structure, the front elevation with incised banded
rustication. Clay tile roofs. Complex plan. Front elevation has 2 storey
and attics central block with slightly projecting 2-storeyed gables to either
end. Rear elevation has 2 projecting gables, one of 2 storeys, other of 2
storeys and attics, with C19 2-storeyed service wing projecting from RH. 1937
2 storey and attics block projects from N elevation. Front elevation: 1:3:1
mullion and transom windows with leaded lights, the flat heads with heavy
voussoirs in moulded render. Ground floor central block windows replaced by 2
C19 French windows, surrounding wall cased in colourwashed brick. Modillion
cornice to eaves. Rear elevation: variety of windows, includinq some
casements with leaded lights, a round-arched sash with glazing bars lighting
staircase, and cast iron latticework full-length windows to LH gable. Part-
glazed door to RH gable. Main block has substantial red brick ridge stack
with 4 linked diagonal shafts. N cross-wing has 2 substantial external stacks
to N elevation, both of 3 stages, with coursed ironstone ground stage and red
brick upper stages. These flank Richardson's projecting block. Interior: N
cross-wing ground floor rooms have early C17 oak panelling, that to rear room
including reeded Ionic pilasters, dentil cornice and more ornate panelling
above fireplace. This room also has moulded spine and cross-beams and foliate
boss, as well as moulded stone 4-centred arched fire surround. Plainer C17
panelling retained elsewhere, mostly to first floor. C18 pine staircase with
turned balusters and panelled dado.


Listing NGR: TL0365330451

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.