History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the Holy Trinity

A Grade II Listed Building in Bickerton, Cheshire East

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0769 / 53°4'36"N

Longitude: -2.7327 / 2°43'57"W

OS Eastings: 351011

OS Northings: 353550

OS Grid: SJ510535

Mapcode National: GBR 7J.B2QX

Mapcode Global: WH88X.0X0J

Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 12 January 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1138611

English Heritage Legacy ID: 56842

Location: Bickerton, Cheshire East, SY14

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: Bickerton

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Bickerton Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Tattenhall

Listing Text

SJ 55 SW BICKERTON GOLDFORD LANE

4/3 Church of the Holy
Trinity

12.1.67

II

Built as chapel, within Malpas Parish, 1839 by Edmund Sharpe became
parish church in 1869. The chancel dates from 1875 and the baptistry
replaced the west porch in 1911 (dates inside church). Red sandstone
with slate roof, in Lancet style. Single-bay chancel, 3-bay nave,
small octagonal west baptistry. Triple lancet window to chancel
(east) gable end, three separate stepped lancets to nave (west) gable
end and single lancets elsewhere, all have stained glass and labels
above. The vestry projection (north) and organ chamber (south) give
the church a cruciform plan. Weathered plinth, clasping buttresses to
chancel, buttresses between nave windows and angle buttresses to nave
corners. Nave entrance (west) has pitch pine door with Gothic head
and ornamental strap hinges which is fronted by a timber and
leaded-light porch which is framed off a low stone wall. The apex of
the porch is timbered and boarded and has a pitched roof. Gables have
copings with kneelers and the west gable and single bell-cote. The
baptistry has a pyramidal roof with cross finial.
Interior: Oak panelled reredos. Communion rail on triple heavily
scrolled metal supports. Oak memorial screen, with head tracery,
surmounted by oak cross has the inscription "Greater love hath no man
than to lay down his life for his friends". The oak pulpit is
integral with the screen. The Oak organ case is inscribed "Praise ye
the Lord". There is a pair of oak vestry doors with tracery heads and
inscription, an oak lectern and alabaster memorials to former vicars
on the nave walls. An octagonal stone font with wood and metal cover
is inscribed "one Lord-one Faith-one Baptism-one God and Father-one
body-one spirit-one hope". The Baptistry has oak panelling to window
sill level. Chancel and Nave have scissor-braced rafters.


Listing NGR: SJ5101153550

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.