Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2835 / 53°17'0"N
Longitude: -2.236 / 2°14'9"W
OS Eastings: 384360
OS Northings: 376302
OS Grid: SJ843763
Mapcode National: GBR DZTG.PP
Mapcode Global: WHBBF.MQFP
Entry Name: The Old Hall
Location: Nether Alderley, Cheshire East, SK10
County: Cheshire East
Parish: Nether Alderley
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Listing Date: 14 April 1967
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 58295
Source ID: 1139591
SJ 87 NW NETHER ALDERLEY C.P. CONGLETON ROAD
4/128 The Old Hall
Manor house: early-mid C17 for Sir Thomas Stanley II with earlier
fragments and addition and alterations of 1912 by Edmund Warre of
London; English garden wall bond red brick with some purple bands.
Buff sandstone dressings, Kerridge stone-slate roof and 3 brick
chimneys, 2 with diamond shaped end stacks. Rectangular plan. 2 and
3-storey, 3-bay south front. Projecting stone band at 1st floor.
Central bay of 3-storeys has rebated 5-light chamfered stone mullioned
windows in ground and 1st storey and similar 3-light under a hood
mould in a stone-coped and ball finialled gable. To left is a bead
moulded stone doorcase with a cambered lintel and a 3-light window
above. To right is a C20 door. Additions in ashlar to west are of
Interior: Main room has light oak wainscotting (probably 1912) and
2-panelled doors with large diamonds in each panel. Heavy chamfered
ceiling beams. Remainder of interior unexceptional.
What survives is an addition to the earliest hall of C16. A major
Baroque front of 1754 was destroyed by fire in 1779 and demolished and
this led to the building of the now demolished Alderley Park. The Old
Hall stands in a decorative moat made by adding an arm to the mill
pond in the late C16.
Listing NGR: SJ8436376304
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings