History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Red Barns House and Red Barns Hotel

A Grade II* Listed Building in Coatham, Redcar and Cleveland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.6159 / 54°36'57"N

Longitude: -1.0775 / 1°4'39"W

OS Eastings: 459668

OS Northings: 524923

OS Grid: NZ596249

Mapcode National: GBR NHX2.H2

Mapcode Global: WHF80.F73P

Entry Name: Red Barns House and Red Barns Hotel

Listing Date: 29 April 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1139613

English Heritage Legacy ID: 60338

Location: Redcar and Cleveland, TS10

County: Redcar and Cleveland

Locality: Coatham

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Coatham and Dormanstown

Church of England Diocese: York

Listing Text

REDCAR KIRKLEATHAM STREET,
NZ 52 SE
south side
4/82 Red Barns House and Red
Barns Hotel.
- II*

Large Rouse, 1868-70 by Philip Webb, for Thomas Hugh Bell; stables added
1875-76 and west extension 1881-82, also by Webb. Stable extended c.1900.
West extension and stables now an hotel. Handmade multicoloured reddish
brick in English bond; clay pantile roofs. Georgian vernacular revival
style. 2 storeys and attics, 6 bays, the right end bay a projecting
cross-gabled 1881 wing, now part of hotel; and lower 2-storey, 3-bay
further right stable and extensions. 2nd bay of original house has gabled
covered way, with later iron gate, leading to inset porch with round window;
boarded door in right return of porch. Another round window on first floor
of 3rd bay; other window sashes, with glazing bars and segmental heads,
double at ground floor in 5th bay. First-floor sill string. 3rd bay raised
to 3 storeys, with square-headed window and hipped roof. Main roof hipped
at left, has slightly-overhanging eaves. Similar but irregular fenestration
in right end bay with coped gable, and in stable and extensions.
Asymmetrically-placed transverse and axial stacks. Left return shows canted
bay window under tiled projecting gable overhanging at sides; and 2 hipped
roof dormers with casements. Rear garden front has 3-bay main house at
right, with altered projecting drawing-room and narrow gabled left linking
bay to projecting west extension. A one-storey corridor projection links
all 3 parts; and there are one-storey west extensions. Similar fenestration
to front, and 2 tripartite windows in west block whose roof is raised to a
pyramidal shape, with central stack, and has sprocketed eaves. Former
stables,altered and partly concealed by later extensions, retain original
raised, pyramidal-roofed lantern. Interior: house part retains panelling,
shutters and plain boarded staircase. History: plaque on north of west wing
: GERTRUDE LOWTHIAN BELL AT ONE TIME LIVED IN THIS HOUSE. SCHOLAR,
TRAVELLER, ADMINISTRATOR AND PEACE MAKER. A FRIEND OF THE ARABS. Of
special architectural interest in showing Philip Webb's transition to a
local vernacular style. Altered and extended former stables included for
group value. Late C20 one-storey extension is not of interest.


Listing NGR: NZ5966824923

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.