Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.6186 / 54°37'6"N
Longitude: -1.0686 / 1°4'6"W
OS Eastings: 460245
OS Northings: 525222
OS Grid: NZ602252
Mapcode National: GBR NHZ1.G4
Mapcode Global: WHF80.K5CN
Entry Name: Town Clock
Location: Redcar and Cleveland, TS10
County: Redcar and Cleveland
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Listing Date: 29 April 1988
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 60303
Source ID: 1139636
REDCAR HIGH STREET EAST
NZ 62 NW
(middle of road)
2/48 Town Clock
Memorial Clock tower, 1913, by John Dobson (Redcar), in memory of King
Edward VII. Red engineering brick in English bond, with faceted rusticated
brickwork in upper part of top stage. Concrete dressings and rockfaced
whinstone plinth. Plain clay tiled roof. 3-stage tower with diagonal
buttresses supporting volutes on shallow bases. Round-headed opening in
each face with archivolt, imposts and keystone, below frieze. On each face,
frieze holds nowy-headed tablet with scrolled wings; that on south side has
bronze plate with raised lettering: "1901 E.R. 1910 IN GRATEFUL AND LOYAL
MEMORY OF EDWARD VII REX ET IMPERATOR. ERECTED FROM SUBSCRIPTIONS RAISED BY
INHABITANTS OF REDCAR, COATHAM AND DISTRICT". Each face of middle stage has
round-headed window with leaded lights in enriched aedicule. Bartizans,
with watershots at angles of top stage flanking enriched swags below clock
faces in oculi with moulded surrounds. Diminutive arcaded bell openings
below eaves. Pyramidal roof has metal ship weather vane and compass finial.
An important local landmark.
Listing NGR: NZ6024525222
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings