Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.5111 / 54°30'39"N
Longitude: -1.1655 / 1°9'55"W
OS Eastings: 454124
OS Northings: 513183
OS Grid: NZ541131
Mapcode National: GBR NJ98.GP
Mapcode Global: WHD77.2W83
Entry Name: Nunthorpe Hall
Location: Nunthorpe, Middlesbrough, TS7
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Listing Date: 5 May 1952
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 59823
Source ID: 1139809
NUNTHORPE EAST SIDE,
NZ 51SW (5413)
6/105 Nunthorpe Hall.
Manor house, c.1623, largely rebuilt and extended c.1800 and altered mid-
C19. Mid/late C19 north-east service extensions. Entrance porch and
projecting bay of garden front added 1901. Converted to home for elderly
1951. Dressed sandstone; Lakeland slate roofs, with stone ridge copings.
2-storey, 7-bay (west) entrance front, the 4th, 5th and 6th bays slightly
recessed, with chamfered plinth and central projecting one-storey closed
porch. 4-panel double doors and overlight with glazing bars, in
double-keyed eared architrave and Ionic doorcase with chamfered
banded-rusticated pilasters, pulvinated frieze and segmental pediment. Worn
escutcheon, dated 1630 and 1901, in concave tympanum. 8-pane sash windows
with glazing bars, in returns of, flanking and above porch. 3 left bays and
right end bay, have sash windows with glazing bars, 6-pane on first floor.
All windows have hollow-chamfered flat surrounds. Eaves cornice and
blocking course. Shallow-pitched hipped roof. Corniced transverse ridge
stack. 7-bay (south) garden front has slightly-projecting centre bay, with
similar doorway, up 2 steps. Arms of Pease and Gurney quartered in
tympanum. Sash windows with glazing bars, in hollow-chamfered flat
surrounds; 6-pane middle window in eared architrave. 2 corniced ridge
stacks. Right return (east) has 2 similar ground-floor, and one first-floor
windows. Right 4 recessed bays with similar windows. North-east service
extensions, in similar style, have steeply-pitched hipped roofs with flat
top sections and corniced stacks. INTERIORS : mid and late Victorian; large
stair hall has open-well staircase with closed corniced string, turned
balusters, moulded handrail, panelled newels and dado rail, all enriched
with classical mouldings; stair leads to gallery on 2 sides of hall.
Panelled south entrance hall. Drawing room has Ionic screen; dining room
has painted fielded wood panelling with fluted Ionic pilasters defining 3 x
3 bays. Oak panelled library, c.1900, has deep-coved ceiling and bookcases
in recesses between windows. Office has painted wood panelling. Ground
floor generally: enriched ceiling cornices, good enriched Classical
chimneypieces; panelled doors and reveals in bolection-moulded architraves,
some retaining brass furniture; panelled window shutters. Similar doors and
surrounds on first floor; bedrooms on west side and at corners of house
have enriched ceiling cornices, good Classical fireplace and some panelled
walls. North end of service wing disused and dilapidated at time of
Listing NGR: NZ5412413183
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings