History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

South Gare Lighthouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Dormanstown, Redcar and Cleveland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.6474 / 54°38'50"N

Longitude: -1.1375 / 1°8'14"W

OS Eastings: 455756

OS Northings: 528374

OS Grid: NZ557283

Mapcode National: GBR NGHP.JT

Mapcode Global: WHD6N.HGK2

Entry Name: South Gare Lighthouse

Location: Redcar and Cleveland, TS10

County: Redcar and Cleveland

Locality: Dormanstown

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Listing Date: 31 October 1990

Last Amended: 23 June 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 60391

Source ID: 1140391

Listing Text

The following item shall be added:-

REDCAR OFF TOD POINT ROAD
NZ 52 NE
1/126 South Gare Lighthouse

The address shall be amended to read:
NZ 52 NE REDCAR TOD POINT ROAD
(off north side)
1/126 South Gare Lighthouse
II

and the description shall be amended to read:

Lighthouse, 1884 under direction of John Fowler, engineer to Tees
Conservancy Commissioners. Cast iron with copper dome and brass and glass
lantern-housing 18m. above sea at low water. Truncated Tuscan column on
pedestal lacking plinth or cornice but with chamfered top edge. Column
capped with octagonal lantern housing under narrow cornice and
hemispherical dome from which chimney and weather vane were removed c1980.
Hooded lifebuoy housings flank steel-plated 2-panel timber door in south
face of pedestal. Small portholes in north and south faces of column light
the staircase. Below the lantern a railed catwalk or balcony supported by
cusped brackets. INTERIOR: clad with varnish stained, vertical tongued-and-
grooved timber wainscotting. Wood and iron newel stair with patterned brass
tread nosings and handrail. Original paraffin lamp removed 1955. Now a
mains electricity-powered heliophotal lamp comprising two 1,000 watt bulbs
(one on standby). Auxiliary generator on standby. Lamp magnified to 92,000
watts by original glass lenses in rotating brass housing driven by hand-
wound escapement, now replaced by electric motors. Lamp produces flash of
1.5 seconds every 12 seconds, having range of 20 miles (32km.). The
adjacent fog horn is not of interest. The only privately owned light house
in England. The 2.5 mile (4km.) long South Gare Breakwater was constructed
of ironworks, slag and concrete between 1861 and 1888 to create a safe
harbour for shipping and to increase the draught of water for shipping in
the estuary of the River Tees.

------------------------------------

REDCAR OFF TOD POINT ROAD
NZ 52 NE
1/126 South Gare Lighthouse
II

Lighthouse. 1883 . Stone with iron dressings. Single storey square base with single metal
doorway on west side, flanked by single life belt housing. Above a circular shaft with a
moulded base, and above a projecting iron balcony supported on ornate iron brackets.Topped
by an octagonal light housing with a circular metal domed cap.


Listing NGR: NZ5575628374

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.