Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7446 / 50°44'40"N
Longitude: -4.625 / 4°37'30"W
OS Eastings: 214896
OS Northings: 97174
OS Grid: SX148971
Mapcode National: GBR N6.2KS9
Mapcode Global: FRA 1763.MZJ
Entry Name: Church of St Genesius
Location: St. Gennys, Cornwall, EX23
Parish: St. Gennys
Locality: St Gennys
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Listing Date: 29 September 1961
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 67249
Source ID: 1142413
ST GENNYS ST GENNYS
SX 19 NW
4/62 Church of St Genesius
Parish church. Lower stages of tower C12, aisles and porch C15, chancel earlier
than aisles. Restoration of 1871 by James P St Aubyn, restoration of 1910 by E H
sedding who added tower buttresses and rebuilt upper stage. Slatestone rubble,
porch facade granite ashlar, south aisle windows granite, north aisle windows
originally polyphant, largely replaced in hatherleigh. Slate roof, pretty slate
bargeboarding to aisle gables. 3-stage west tower with set back buttresses with
set offs and decoration of engaged finials. C12 window openings to lower stages of
tower, belfry openings, paired cinquefoil-headed lights in square-headed openings
under hoodmoulds. 4-bay north and south aisles with 3-light square-headed windows.
North aisle has single massive buttress and blocked door. Porch entrance with
moulded arch beneath square head, blind quatrefoils in spandrels. Stone benches,
stoup and moulded inner door to porch. Priest's door on south side of chancel.
Unmoulded C12 tower arch. South arcade and west bay of north arcade C15 octagonal
granite piers carrying double-chamfered, 4-centred arches; east bays of north
arcade polyphant piers of unused section; 8 hollows with 4 engaged shafts and
fillets between. Moulded capitals with fleurons and cresting and richly-moulded
arches. 1871 roofs throughout. 2 tiers of wind-bracking. Paired truss forms
chancel arch. C12 greenstone square font with blank arches on faces set on renewed
granite base and Purbeck shafts. Set in north wall of north aisle fine slate
memorial with coat of arms to the children of William Heo, dated 1693. 2 fine
slate memorials to William Braddon, died 1694 (q.v. Treworgie Barton) and Henry
Braddon, died 1711, fixed to south chancel wall. Other C18 and C19 slate memorials
set in nave floor. 2 C15 bench ends in litany desk. C17 altar table at east end
of north aisle. First World War memorial window at east end of south aisle by
Heaton, Butler and Bayne. St Aubyn raised the level of the chancel floor and roof,
Kellys Directory, 1883.
Listing NGR: SX1489697176
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings