Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9352 / 52°56'6"N
Longitude: -0.0297 / 0°1'47"W
OS Eastings: 532516
OS Northings: 339352
OS Grid: TF325393
Mapcode National: GBR JWV.Z69
Mapcode Global: WHHLX.JH24
Entry Name: Frampton Hall
Location: Frampton, Boston, Lincolnshire, PE20
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Listing Date: 19 November 1951
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 191975
Source ID: 1147586
TF 3239-3339 FRAMPTON MIDDLEGATE ROAD
15/59 Frampton Hall
Small country house. Built in 1725 for Coney Tunnard, extended
late C18 and skilfully remodelled in matching style in 1873. Red
brick in Flemish bond with limestone ashlar and render dressings.
Lead roof. Red brick wall stacks in Tudor revival style with
corbelled out casteilated tops. Originally 5 bay, 3 storey, plus
basement, box, with moulded ashlar plinth and bands, cornice,
brick panelled parapet. Rusticated giant corner pilasters. The
central entrance bay is in ashiar with rusticated quoins,
slightly advanced and crowned with a segmental pediment
containing an inscribed cartouche bearing date 1725 surmounted by
a rabbit (Coney symbol). The central 8 panel door with plain
overlight is flanked by fluted Corinthian pilasters supporting an
open segmental pediment bearing an urn. The door is reached up a
flight of 4 steps flanked by lions and 4 semi-circular steps.
Over the door is a plain sash with moulded ashlar architrave and
pilasters, supporting a cornice with grotesque keystone. The
second floor central smaller window has scrolls to the base. The
central openings are flanked by pairs of plain sashes with
splayed rubbed brick arches and panelled ashlar keystones. The
1725 block was extended late C18 by flanking 2 storey 2 bay
wings. These in turn were altered C19 and the right hand wing
extended by a further bay in matching style, re-using old
materials. The rusticated corner pilasters are in render, the
parapet has recessed panels with blank shields between. The
keystones of the central windows on the right hand wing bear the
arms of the C19 owner, Major C. T. J. Moore. Beyond to the right
is a single storey bay with semi-circular headed window. In the
left hand side is a 2 storey C19 ashiar bay window bearing a coat
of arms. To the rear is an added C19 canted entrance porch and
on the flanking wings are single fine cast lead rainwater
hoppers, bearing the date 1725 and the Coney rebus. The lead
plaques to the downpipe are decorated with beasts and birds.
These all appear to have been moved from the side walls when the
wings were added. At the rear of the right hand wing is a
rainwater head inscribed "CTJM 1873". Interior. The house
retains a number of original features which have been carefully
incorporated into the remodelling of C19. The dogleg stair,
which appears to have been reset, has 3 balusters to the tread,
one fluted, twisted and turned. The strings are carved with
scrolled leaves. Overdoor in entrance hall in stucco with dentil
cornice and shells. The principal rooms have full height
bolection moulded panelling, that in the right hand room with a
dentillated cornice. The joinery has been amended to suit the
C19 alterations. The wing on the left contains a C19 ballroom
with a reused C18 bolection moulded marble fireplace surround.
In the basement, the side walls of the original house contain
openings, one with contemporary glazing, showing that the house
has been extended. C19 piaster ceiling over first floor landing.
First floor room has egg and dart frieze with scrolled modillion
cornice and Corinthian pilasters. C18 marble fire surrounds with
round corners to the opening used throughout. Coney Tunnard who
built the house was High Sheriff of the County.
Listing NGR: TF3251639352
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings