This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.5333 / 50°31'59"N
Longitude: -3.5509 / 3°33'3"W
OS Eastings: 290184
OS Northings: 71535
OS Grid: SX901715
Mapcode National: GBR P1.3DK7
Mapcode Global: FRA 37GN.6H0
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 2 December 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1147932
English Heritage Legacy ID: 85758
Location: Haccombe with Combe, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ12
Parish: Haccombe with Combe
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Combeinteignhead All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 90 71
16/94 Church of All Saints
Parish church. C12 font, medieval fabric partly C13, extended by aisles, probably in
the C15, tower described as having had a Decorated west window but looks C15 ;
restorations of 1851 (date on porch) and 1887 (architect R.M. Fulford). Coursed red
sandstone with Beerstone and Ham Hill dressings ; slate roof.
Plan: Nave, chancel, north and south transepts, 3-bay north and south aisles, west
tower, north-west porch, south-east organ chamber. An illustration and descriptions
of the church prior to 1851 indicate that the origins of the chancel and transepts
are Early English (Thorne). The 3-bay aisles are probably C15, the date at which the
tower may have been rebuilt or remodelled. Few Early English details survive, most
of the windows are 1851 Perpendicular and the chancel was largely rebuilt and
extended at the same date ; the nave, south transept and aisle roofs were replaced
and the north porch was rebuilt. A more sensitive restoration by Robert Medley
Fulford in 1887 involved repairing the screen, a new timber chancel arch, stepping up
the chancel, providing the north-east organ chamber and re-seating the nave.
Exterior: Chancel largely 1851 with deep diagonal buttresses and a carved stone eaves
cornice ; 3-light C19 Perpendicular east window with carved label stops, priest's
door with moulded frame on south side, embattled 1887 organ chamber on north side
with a 3-light cusped north window. Diagonal buttresses to north and south transepts
with C19 Decorated north and south 3-light windows with carved label stops. Blocked
opening on east wall of north transept, blocked lancet to east wall of south
transept, visible from the interior. 3-bay buttressed north and south aisles with
C19 Perpendicular 3-light windows. Battlemented west tower with diagonal buttresses,
tall corner pinnacles and an embattled polygonal north east stair turret. Shallow-
moulded west doorway below a 3-light C19 Perpendicular west window. ; 2-light
traceried belfry openings on all 4 faces, cusped 1-light opening at bellringers'
stage on the north side. North porch in westernmost bay of north aisle with an 1851
date on the label stop of the moulded outer doorway ; diagonal buttresses,
quartrefoil windows to the returns ; C19 arched brace roof and good C19 inner door in
a moulded doorframe.
Interior: Plastered walls ; 1887 timber chancel arch ; plain rounded tower arch ; 3-
bay north and south arcades with octagonal piers and capitals and rounded double-
chamfered arches ; unusual junction between transept and aisle rofs, the aisle roof
wall-plate over-sailing the transepts and supported on upward curving braces on
corbels (q.v. Stokeinteignhead). It is not clear whether this is a copy of the
medieval arrangement. Ceiled wagon roofs, mostly of 1851, with roll-moulded ribs and
small uniform carved bosses, the chancel roof with cross ribs and a wall plate carved
with cherubs' heads. 5-bay rood screen with renewed coving and narrow, sharply-
pointed openings. C19 chancel fittings, the 1851 reredos with blind tracery and
stone cresting flanked by gabled commandment boards. North and south stone seats to
the sanctuary below heavily crocketted nodding ogee arches ; low stone communion
screen pierced with trefoils. 1887 choir stalls with carved ends of an unusual
profile. On the north side of the choir an 1887 stone canopied recess is associated
with a 2-light hagioscope into the transept. An arched opening into the chancel from
the south transept, blocked in 1851, was re-opened as a hagioscope in 1887.
The nave has a C12 font, probably re-cut, with palmette motifs on the bowl, saltire
crosses decorating the rim and a heavy cable moulding above the stem ; C19 timber
drum pulpit with open traceried panels ; set of late C19 bench ends. Dado tiling to
the aisle walls, of a rather startling glazed pink, added in 1907. The north
transept which became the Gregory Fokeray chantry in the C15, has a rounded,
chamfered piscina in the east wall and 4 C15 benches with 2 frontals, the bench ends
crowned with crouching animals and carved with figures and tracery. The south
transept has a tomb recess in the south wall with a C17 slate ledger stone fixed
beneath the arch.
Monuments: Notable monument to the Hockmore family in the north transept, the detail
large-scale and rustic and said to be modelled in local clay (Thorne). A rustic ogee
arch above a chest tomb, the arch decorated with pomegranates and crowned by an
archievement, the chest with armorial bearings in wreaths divided by bead and reel
moulding and half-palmettes, with a brass inscription panel in a Purbeck matrix under
the arch. The lid of the chest commemorates Gregory Hockmore, died 1571, the ogival
arch is said to be 1613, commemorating Alice Hockmore (Thorne). 2 large slate
ledger stones with coloured armorial bearings in relief are fixed to the transept
walls and commemorate William Hockmore, died 1626 and Gregory Hockmore, died 1655. A
number of late C18 and C19 black and white marble wall tablets including a good late
C19 tablet, gabled and crocketted, in the south transept signed T.H. Knight,
Stained Glass: Renmants of an 1850s or 1860s glazing scheme in the head tracery of
the aisle and transept windows. 1880s west window, probably by Drake of Exeter, east
window 1905 by Drake of Exeter.
Thorne, J.0. "Combeinteignhead Church Before its Nineteenth-Century Restorations",
DCNQ, 35 (1982), pp. 35-40.
Thorne, J.0., Combeinteignhead Church before and after Victorian Restorations (n.d.).
Devon Nineteenth Century Churches Project.
Listing NGR: SX9018471535
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings