History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Norton Conyers House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Norton Conyers, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.181 / 54°10'51"N

Longitude: -1.5114 / 1°30'40"W

OS Eastings: 431989

OS Northings: 476245

OS Grid: SE319762

Mapcode National: GBR KNW2.LZ

Mapcode Global: WHC7N.R5HM

Entry Name: Norton Conyers House

Location: Norton Conyers, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG4

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Parish: Norton Conyers

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Listing Date: 22 July 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 330422

Source ID: 1150059

Listing Text

SE 37 NW NORTON CONYERS NORTON CONYERS

2/46 Norton Conyers House
-
22.7.55
- II *


House. Probably medieval, with C16 extension and early C17 and C18
alterations. Brick, roughcast, Westmorland slate roof. 2 ranges
forming square-plan house. 2 storeys, 4 bays. Central, double doors
with pulvinated bands and decorative panels. Surround has pulvinated
rusticated piers to either side, each fronted by a pair of raised
Corinthian columns. The pedimented entablature above has swags to
frieze, dentilled cornice and broken triangular pediment above a
heraldic shield. Irregular fenestration, with 3-light, 3-tiered mullion
and transom hall window to bay 2; large canted-bay windows with 32-pane
sashes to bays 1 and 4. 24-pane sashes in flush wood architraves to
both floors of bay 4; a 16-pane sash in recessed frame to bay 3, first
floor, and a 12-pane sash in recessed frame to bay 1, first floor.
Moulded eaves cornice. 4 ogee-curved gables, each with small bulls-eye
window, 3 false. Ball finials to kneelers. Cluster of chimneys to
right, external stack to left. Further chimneys on rear range.
Interior: hall has high coved ceiling with acorn dentilled cornice. Cl7
fireplace with carved overmantle. Parlour left of hall: C18 fireplace,
plasterwork, shutters, panelling. Library behind parlour: mid C18
corner fireplace and overmantle and pulvinated, reeded door-frames with
rosettes. Dining room to right of hall: doors with moulded architraves
and consoles carrying moulded cornice. C18 plasterwork and window
shutters. Wide staircase behind hall of 3 straight flights with double
balusters of C16 character, many restored or replaced, and ball finials
on newel posts. Much of the C17 work on the house coincides with its
acquisition by Sir Richard Graham, made Baronet in 1630. The
plasterwork in parlour and dining room is by William Belwood, 1781-83,
who also worked at Harewood House and Newby Hall.


Listing NGR: SE3198976245

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.