This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.3614 / 54°21'41"N
Longitude: -1.4263 / 1°25'34"W
OS Eastings: 437375
OS Northings: 496359
OS Grid: SE373963
Mapcode National: GBR LLH0.0B
Mapcode Global: WHD7W.2M2V
Entry Name: Church of St Thomas
Listing Date: 31 March 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1150903
English Heritage Legacy ID: 332379
Location: Brompton, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, DL6
County: North Yorkshire
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SE 3696-3796 BROMPTON HIGH GREEN
12/16 Church of St Thomas
Church. C12, C14 and C15, restoration in 1868. Coursed squared stone and
ashlar, graduated Welsh slate roofs. C12-C14 nave with north aisle, partly
enclosed C15 south west tower to centre bay of nave, C14 chancel, C19 north
vestry. South-west tower: 3 stages, offset diagonal buttresses to first
stage. Plinth. Board south door in chamfered basket-arched surround with
hoodmould and small niche above. Projection for staircase to east side.
Chamfered band, second stage, clock faces to east and west sides, chamfered
band. Chamfered, cusped 2-light flat-head belfry openings. Band, embattled
parapet with crocketed pinnacles to each corner. Pyramidal roof with flag
pole. Nave: 3 bays, plinth, offset diagonal buttress to west, offset angle
buttress to east. To left a 3-light reticulated traceried flat-headed
window, to right similar window of 4 lights. Moulded copings to parapet.
Stone copings, gable crosses. North aisle: similar windows to nave.
Blocked chamfered pointed C13 door. Similar pointed 2-light window to west.
Nave has large 4-light pointed reticulated traceried west window with
hoodmould. Chancel: one bay. Offset diagonal buttress to east end. To
south central priests' doorway in pointed chamfered surround. To left a
small cusped 1-light pointed-arched window. To right a 2-light chamfered,
flat-headed window, with Perpendicular tracery. Pointed east window of 3
lights with flowing tracery and hoodmould, Decorated in style. Plain
chamfered parapet, stone coping. Gable cross. North vestry with 3-light
arched east window. All windows C19. Interior: 4-bay C12 north arcade
raised in C14, 2 circular piers with octagonal abaci, one with a waterleaf
motif, C14 central pier octagonal with moulded cap, stepped round arches.
Double-chamfered pointed chancel arch. Stained-glass west window by Kempe,
after 1886. Sculpture: 3 good hogback tombstones, all with bears sitting up
at the ends and facing one another, with Celtic strap motifs between. An
Anglo-Danish cross shaft with head. Similar cross, C9 in the nave.
Listing NGR: SE3737496359
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings