Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8555 / 52°51'19"N
Longitude: 0.9605 / 0°57'37"E
OS Eastings: 599424
OS Northings: 332778
OS Grid: TF994327
Mapcode National: GBR S8F.X8V
Mapcode Global: WHLR5.QHL7
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Location: Fulmodeston, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR21
District: North Norfolk
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Listing Date: 6 March 1959
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 223941
Source ID: 1152872
TF 93 SE FULMODESTON THE STREET (west)
Church of St. Mary
Parish church. Pre 1100 evidence in nave, c.1200 south door, c.1300 chancel, C15 overall.
Flint with stone dressings, some conglomerate and Roman tiles as dressings
in nave, traces of rendering. Roofs: nave slated, chancel and south transept
black glazed pantiles. Nave with pre 1100 beginnings, blocked early
round-headed door with tiles used for quoins and arch and south-east nave
corner quoins. South doorway of c.1200, with pointed arch and order of
colonnettes with shafts missing. Perpendicular south porch, cement rendered.
Nave south side with one slightly camber headed 2-light Perpendicular window
and one arched 3-light Perpendicular window. Nave north with blocked c.1200
door, one 2-light and one 3-light Perpendicular window, 4 buttresses, 3
rebuilt in brick. Perpendicular west tower, with 3 paired lancet belfry
windows, details rendered over or mullions removed. Nave south transept
Perpendicular with east and west 2-light and south 3-light Perpendicular
windows (referred to as "of new build" 1496). Chancel of c.1200 with to
south 2 paired lancets and priest's door, but Decorated-Perpendicular east
window of 3 lights. Interior: nave with 5 bay Perpendicular roof with arched
braces, springing from carved capitals and angels, bosses at intersection
of purlins and principals. Coved wall plate with shields and quatrefoils.
Perpendicular Font; octagonal with arms of the Valoines family, Lords of
the Manor. C17 panelled bench at rear of nave. Jacobean pulpit, 6-sided
with C15 brass memorial inscriptions attached by hinges. Perpendicular rood
loft door and loft arch, and chancel arch on responds. Decorated-Perpendi-
cular south side niche with ogee head with cinquefoil. Angle piscina of
c.1200 and window-sill sedilia. Single C15 Poppyhead bench. C.19 king
post roof. South transept chapel, with 2-bay Perpendicular arch-braced
roof, plastered between rafters, 2 Poppyhead benches.
Listing NGR: TF9942432778
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings