This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2033 / 52°12'11"N
Longitude: -2.6809 / 2°40'51"W
OS Eastings: 353566
OS Northings: 256338
OS Grid: SO535563
Mapcode National: GBR FM.39MD
Mapcode Global: VH84X.HW3B
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 11 June 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1157768
English Heritage Legacy ID: 149651
Location: Humber, County of Herefordshire, HR6
County: County of Herefordshire
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Humber
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
HUMBER CP HUMBER
SO 55 NW
2/88 Church of St Mary
Parish church. Circa 1200, altered, probably mid-C13 and C14. Restored
1874-8 by T H Wyatt, and also in 1884. Sandstone rubble and tufa with
dressings of the same materials. Plain tiled roofs with decorative ridge
tiles and gable-end cross finials; the spire is shingled. West tower, four-
bay nave with north transept and south porch, three-bay chancel. West tower:
C14, restored in 1884 when belfry stage rebuilt. Two stages (divided into
three storeys internally) with ashlar sill band to belfry stage. There is
a cusped lancet in the west elevation of the lower stage and an ogee-arched
light in the north and south elevations. The belfry stage has 2-light louvred
bell-chamber openings and there is a splay-footed spire with a finial and
weathervane. Nave: C13 or earlier. The north elevation has a pair of C19
cusped lancets and a blocked pointed doorway at its western end. From the
easternmost two bays project the north transept, built in 1874. This is
gabled and has three stepped cusped lancets beneath a hoodmould with returns
at its north gable end. There is a cusped lancet in each side elevation, and
in the western angle is a lean-to addition with a north doorway. The south
elevation has a shallow pilaster buttress at the western end and three cusped
lancets, all C19 except for parts of the jambs. The south porch is late C14,
gabled and timber-framed on a sandstone base. The outer archway has heavy
wall-posts, a chamfered arch-braced tie-beam with a shaped central strut,
cusped principals and the bargeboards have traceried panelling. The inner
archway is formed by a simpler arch-braced tie-beam truss with a V-strut and
the two-bay roof has run-out stop chamfered purlins and cusped wind-braces.
The upper part of the side elevations have 4-light chamfered mullioned open-
ings, the outer openings are boarded and the central two have leaded lights.
The C14 south doorway has chamfered jambs and a two-centred head. Chancel:
at the east end are two restored round-headed windows of circa 1200 and there
is a circular window in the gable apex enclosing a C19 quatrefoil. The north
elevation has a C19 buttress with offsets and three lancets of circa 1200.
The south elevation has a C19 buttress with offsets at the eastern end, three
similar windows, one of which is C19 and an original restored doorway with
chamfered jambs and a two-centred head. Interior: there is a narrow tower arch
with a pointed head and a wide C19 pointed archway of two chamfered orders
leading into the north transept with semi-circular responds. Chancel roof
is probably C14 and has three king-post trusses with added mouldings and
struts to the tie-beams. The nave has a C19 ashlared collar rafter-roof.
The chancel has a stepped sill string and the fittings include a C15 moulded
stone shelf, an early C14 chamfered piscina with a multi-cusped head and some
late C17 panelling behind the altar. The font is C12, circular on a short
circular stem with the upper face chamfered to form an octagon and with cable
moulded necking above an incised chevron motif. The C19 pulpit incorporates
two sides of late C17 panelling with a moulded cornice on moulded corbels
and blind arcading between engaged columns. In the vestry in the west tower
is a late C17 altar table with turned legs. Memorials: in the chancel is a
memorial to Oliver Hughes, died 1671, with an open segmental pediment,
scrolled border and coat of arms. Also six memorials at the west end of the
nave mainly of late C18 and early C19 date, one of which has a husk border.
(RCHM, Herefs III, p 72, item 1; BoE, p 197).
Listing NGR: SO5356656338
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings