This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4491 / 52°26'56"N
Longitude: -0.1022 / 0°6'7"W
OS Eastings: 529070
OS Northings: 285148
OS Grid: TL290851
Mapcode National: GBR K2R.JYW
Mapcode Global: VHGLC.5PTX
Entry Name: Church of St Thomas a Becket of Canterbury
Listing Date: 1 May 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1157794
English Heritage Legacy ID: 54427
Location: Ramsey, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE26
Traditional County: Huntingdonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Ramsey St Thomas a Becket
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL2885-2985 RAMSEY CHURCH GREEN
1.5.51 Church of St Thomas
a Becket of Canterbury
Circa 1180-90. Hospital, infirmary or guest-house for Ramsey Abbey. Aisled hall with
chapel at east end. Vestry and Warden's lodgings (now demolished) adjoining chapel on
north and south. Parish church C13 or C14. West Tower built 1672. Rubblestone and
coursed Barnack ashlar. Continuous roof to nave and chancel with C19 plain tiles.
Plain round corbels at eaves height. East wall of chancel: 3 round-headed windows,
each flanked by pilaster buttresses. One vesica shaped window above centre bay, and
one sealed round-headed window in gable end. South wall of chancel: early C14 window
of 2 pointed lights in round head, and C16 or C17 doorway with 4 centred arch in
square head. The remains of the shafts of the north-east, north-west and cross arch
of the 1180-90 lodgings are visile in the wall. Each side of clerestorey has range of
seven C15 2-light windows with cinquefoil tracery in 4 centred head with label. South
aisle heightened in C15. Embattled parapet and 2 stage buttressing. Seven C15
3-light windows with vertical tracery in 4 centred heads with labels. One similar
window at east and west end of aisle. C15 south doorway in 4 centred arch. West
tower of 4 stages. Embattled parapet and crocketed pinnacles at corners. Angle
buttressing of 5 stages. Late C12 doorway rest. Round-heded arch of 4 orders,
3 moulded, having free shafts with decorated capitals, moulded abacii, bands and
bases. Sunken rectangular panel above doorway with moulded frame and inscription
"Take heed, watch and pray for ye know not when the time is, S. Mar 13.33". Above
panel is round, raised panel. Second and third stages of the west wall have reused
windows. Bell chamber has one 2-light window in each wall made up of reused stone.
North aisle similar to south aisle except for C15 or C16 north doorway with stop
moulded jambs and 4 centred arch in square head with blank shields in spandrels.
Moulded label. Modern vestry to east. Interior of vestry has the remains of the
vaulting shafts of 1180-90 lodgings or vestry.
Interior: chancel. Continuous roll moulding to roung-headed and vesica shaped
windows. Quadripartite vault, unmoulded ribs of square section springing from
attached shafts with cushion capitals. Chancel arch 2 centred and of 2 plain orders
with moulded label and scrolled stops. Grouped shafts forming one group with responds
of nave arcade. Main shaft keeled with scalloped capitals with common grooved and
chamfered abaci, segmental on plan. Moulded bases on round plinth continued under
arcade respond. Nave formerly of 8 bays, now 7. Two centred arches of 2 plain orders
with chamfered label. Piers differ on plan but correspond in pairs on north and
south. Each pier has moulded base and rebated plinth. East to west: 4 grouped keeled
shafts; 8 grouped round shafts; round piers; square piers with 4 attached and keeled
shafts; octagonal piers; 8 grouped and keeled shafts. Each capital differs. North
arcade from east: waterleaf with square rebated abacus; leaf with grooved round
abacus; part scalloped and with leaf with bead ornament. Square, rebated abacus;
leaves with volutes and grooved, round abacus; scalloped with paired volutes and
square, rebated abacus; leaves with volutes and grooved, round abacus. South arcade
from east: leaves with volutes and square, rebated abacus; leaf ornament with grooved,
round abacus; leaves with volutes and square, rebated abacus; waterleaf and round,
grooved abacus; scalloped with square, rebated abacus; waterleaf with round, grooved
abacus. Above second pair of piers from east is a pair of blocked openings, entrance
to former road loft. Fittings: font. Late C12 or early C13, dark grey marble.
Hexagonal with shaped lower edge. Six angle shafts. C19 middle shaft. C15 lectern.
Oak. Square post with moulded, and embattled capital and 4 traceried buttresses.
Double book rest with embattled ridge and crocketed tops to gables. Restored. C13 or
C14 painting over easternmost arch of north arcade. C19 pews, numbered, and with
poppyhead finials. Glass in chancel and south aisle. Commemorative glas, mostly
early C20 in Arts and Crafts style. C13 piscinae, reset in south wall of chancel.
Two centred head. Two quatrefoil drains in marble slab. Sedilia. Base of seats with
piers between. Upper parts removed. Sills modern. Two C19 monuments. One inchancel
to William Henry Fellowes. One in south to Edward Fellows.
R.C.H.H. (Hunts) p.204
V.C.H. (Hunts) vol (ii)
Pevsner: Buildings of England (Beds, Hunts and Peterborough) p.332
Cambridge University Library; Add 3954-6
P Dickinson: Ramsey church and abbey (1947; revised 1964).
Listing NGR: TL2907085148
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings