This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0343 / 53°2'3"N
Longitude: -1.3772 / 1°22'37"W
OS Eastings: 441861
OS Northings: 348743
OS Grid: SK418487
Mapcode National: GBR 7DZ.LNS
Mapcode Global: WHDG8.TZCP
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 25 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1158522
English Heritage Legacy ID: 79067
Location: Codnor, Amber Valley, Derbyshire, DE5
District: Amber Valley
Civil Parish: Codnor
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Codnor St James
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 44 NW CODNOR CROSSHILL
6/24 Church of St James
Church. 1844 by Robert Barker, chancel 1888-90 by J Holden, also with C20 additions.
Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs with crested
ridge tiles, stone coped gables and eastern ridge crosses. Western tower, 5
bay nave, 2 bay chancel with north vestry and parish room. Three stage tower
has stepped angle buttresses rising over the parapets with pinnacled tops. Pointed
chamfered doorcase with double doors to south, large chamfered western lancet,
and attached C20 boiler house to north of no special interest. Second stage
has small lancet over the door and bell stage has corbel table to base and paired
chamfered lancets to each side. Eaves stringcourse and embattled parapets.
Nave has stepped butresses to angles and between bays. Chancel has deep plinth
and buttresses between bays and to angles. Single lancet to south side. East
side has three blind flat headed openings set into the plinth, stepped triple
lancet window above with moulded sill band and continuous hoodmould, also a trefoil
shaped window in the gable. North vestry has large flat headed 3-light mullion
window to north wall with trefoil shaped window above, and angled wall to west
with pointed doorcase which has hoodmould with foliage stops and plate tracery
tympanum. C20 parish room added to north of no special interest. Interior has
western gallery with blind arcaded gallery on iron columns, moulded chancel arch
with soffit on foliage corbels below inscribed hoodmould with foliage stops.
Caernavon arched doorcase into north vestry, with pointed plasterwork panel over.
Four-centred door into the tower and similar to gallery staircase. Scissor truss
roofs to chancel, arched braced trusses to nave. Fittings all late C19 or C20.
Three late C19 marble wall memorials.
Listing NGR: SK4186148743
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings