This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.867 / 54°52'1"N
Longitude: -1.5368 / 1°32'12"W
OS Eastings: 429828
OS Northings: 552570
OS Grid: NZ298525
Mapcode National: GBR KDQ5.23
Mapcode Global: WHC45.CXFR
Entry Name: Lambton Castle
Listing Date: 4 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1159138
English Heritage Legacy ID: 109390
Location: North Lodge, County Durham, DH3
County: County Durham
Parish: North Lodge
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Burnmoor
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NORTH LODGE LAMBTON PARK
NZ 25 SE
4/47 Lambton Castle
4/6/52 (previously included
in the Civil Parish
Castellated country house. Circa 1820-8 by Ignatius Bonomi for John George
Lambton; incorporating core of the C18 Harraton Hall; 1862-5 additions by
Sidney Smirke (following a design by John Dobson) were largely demolished in
1932. Ashlar sandstone, Welsh slate roofs and stone chimney stacks. Complex
U-plan with detached south-east tower. Perpendicular style (mainly 2-light
windows under hoodmoulds).
South front by Bonomi. 2 linked blocks and detached east tower. 3-storey,
5-bay west block with tall octagonal stair tower at west, pointed lower and
square-headed upper windows, corbelled round turret on second floor at east
and embattled parapet. Set-back lower 3-storey, 6-bay east block, refronting
of C18 core, has pointed 2-storey upper windows (with panels of blank tracery
masking floor level), flying buttresses between bays and embattled parapet
with crocketed pinnacles. Tall octagonal east tower with splayed base,
staggered loops, corbelled-out embattled parapet and taller round stair turret
(parapet removed). West return partly refaced after demolition of 1862
additions; 2-storey, 3-bay north section by Bonomi with linking bay and porte-
cochere on north. Porte-coch<re, constructed 1932 from Smirke's north arcade,
has 4 panelled octagonal turrets, 4-centred arches and embattled parapets.
Complex north front: split-level east wing is fragment of 1862 service wing;
3-storey, 3-bay centre, refronting of C18 core, has 24-pane sashes on ground
floor; projecting 1862 staircase addition at west. Low-pitched roofs and
octagonal stacks mainly hidden by parapets.
Interior: central C18 core has one room with re-used early C18 panelling and
2 rooms on south side with Palladian plasterwork (enriched doorcases; one room
with fireplace and broken-pedimented overmantel flanked by shell niches).
Other large ground-floor rooms and staircase by Smirke in Tudor style
(linenfold panelling, carved wood fireplaces and beamed ceilings).
The home of John George Lambton, later 1st. Earl of Durham, a noted radical
statesman and co-author of the 1832 Reform Bill.
(Christopher Hussey, "Lambton Castle - Durham", Country Life Volume CXXXIX,
Listing NGR: NZ2982852570
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings