This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5729 / 51°34'22"N
Longitude: -0.8701 / 0°52'12"W
OS Eastings: 478399
OS Northings: 186604
OS Grid: SU783866
Mapcode National: GBR C4F.8V1
Mapcode Global: VHDW8.VQVL
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 21 June 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1160018
English Heritage Legacy ID: 46745
Location: Hambleden, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, RG9
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Hambleden with Frieth
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 78 NE HAMBLEDEN HAMBLEDEN VILLAGE
6/93 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. C12 cruciform church, much altered C13 and C14. W. tower
rebuilt 1721 after collapse of central tower, then raised and altered
1882 by Woodyer. Chancel aisles and N. vestry added 1859, as dated on
rainwater heads, the N. chancel aisle incorporating part of E. aisle
to N. transept. Late C19 S. porch and extensive restorations. Flint and
chalk with stone dressings, tiled roofs. W. tower has octagonal corner
buttresses with C19 stone dressings and small battlemented roof turrets
with weathervanes. Battlemented parapet above ashlar frieze with alternately
blind and louvred cusped niches. Large 3-light windows with plate tracery
to belfry, lancets below, 2-light traceried W. window. Nave has 2 bays
of restored C14 2-light traceried windows, small blocked N. door with 2-
centred arch and hoodmould,and richly moulded C14 S. door, restored, in
gabled timber porch. W. wall of N. transept retains 2-light window with
plate tracery, and re-set C12 blocked doorway with roll-moulded arch on
shafts with carved capitals. Other transept windows are C19, the S.
transept with large 4-light traceried window to S. Chancel aisles have
single lights with traceried heads, and traceried E. windows. Chancel has
2-light traceried N. and S. windows, and restored 3-light Perpendicular
window to E. Below E. window is a blocked 3-light rectangular window.
Interior: triple chamfered arch to tower, C19 moulded arches to transepts and chancel. N. transept has crown post roof, blocked doorway with semi-
circular arch at S.W. end, segmental arched recess at N. end, and restored
2-bay C13 E. arcade with double chamfered arches on large circular pier.
Matching arcades between chancel and aisles, the N. aisle now organ chamber,
the S. aisle a chapel. Restored Cl4 ogee piscina and triple sedilia,
of chalk, with crockets and carved heads. Fitting: C12 cylindrical font
with floriated crosses in lozenge panels; C16 carved wooden panels
incorporated in altar in S. transept. Monuments: Perpendicular dresser tomb
much restored, in chancel; fine wall monument with carved kneeling figures of
Cope D'Oyley 1633, wife Martha 1618, 5 sons and 5 daughters, in bay to E. of
N. transept; marble tablet to John Greene 1687, with weeping putti on
broken pediment, in N. transept; monument in tower to Raffe Scrope 1572, with
stepped pediment on Ionic columns. C17 and C18 cartouches in nave; various
RCHM I p. 184- 186.
Listing NGR: SU7839986604
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings