History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Katharine's Convent

A Grade II Listed Building in Hambleden, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5976 / 51°35'51"N

Longitude: -0.8556 / 0°51'20"W

OS Eastings: 479361

OS Northings: 189375

OS Grid: SU793893

Mapcode National: GBR C42.SL3

Mapcode Global: VHDW9.430L

Entry Name: St Katharine's Convent

Listing Date: 22 January 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1160213

English Heritage Legacy ID: 46764

Location: Hambleden, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, RG9

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Wycombe

Civil Parish: Hambleden

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Hambleden with Frieth

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Turville

Listing Text

SU 78 NE HAMBLEDEN PARMOOR [FRIETH)

St. Katharine's Convent
6/112
II


Mansion, now convent. Part c.1770-80, much enlarged 1893-1903 by
Charles Alfred Cripps. Originally home of the Doyle family. Late C18 part,
to south, is of red brick with tuck pointing. Roof concealed by parapet
with stone coping and late C19 wrought iron railings. 2 storeys, 4 bays.
Outer bays have bowed projections each with 3 3-pane sashes to first floor.
Ground floor right has similar sashes flanking C19 French doors; ground floor
left has 4-pane sashes flanking blocked opening. Centre part has 2 3-pane
sashes to first floor, and late C19 projection below with parapet and 3 glazed
arches. All original openings have gauged heads. Extensions are of red
brick with stone coped parapet and railings. Some red sandstone dressings.
Wing set back to left is dated 1903 on rainwater heads, and has 4 bays
of sashes and French doors, and banquetting hall at left end. This has
3-bay arcaded verandah of red sandstone to left side. Entrance front to
east has central gabled feature with cornice and scrolled pediment, and
porch projection in form of porte-cochere, Projecting block to right with
hipped roof, moulded modillion eaves and gabled dormers. Another entry in
angle. Interior: 2 late C18 ground floor rooms have delicate plaster
ceilings and modillion cornices, contemporary fireplaces and dado panelling.
Centre room has contemporary doorcases; right room has segmental arched
doorcase and shelves flanking fireplace. Circa 1900 parts have Jacobethan
interiors, the banquetting hall, now chapel, with ribbed pendant ceiling, the
staircase with pierced panels.


Listing NGR: SU7936189375

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.