History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Swineshead Abbey

A Grade II Listed Building in Swineshead, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9493 / 52°56'57"N

Longitude: -0.1418 / 0°8'30"W

OS Eastings: 524945

OS Northings: 340722

OS Grid: TF249407

Mapcode National: GBR HVD.0Z4

Mapcode Global: WHHLV.S4N9

Entry Name: Swineshead Abbey

Listing Date: 19 November 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1165368

English Heritage Legacy ID: 192125

Location: Swineshead, Boston, Lincolnshire, PE20

County: Lincolnshire

District: Boston

Parish: Swineshead

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Swineshead St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Listing Text


TF 24 SW SWINESHEAD BAYTHORPE

4/72 Swineshead Abbey
19.11.51
II

House, on the site of a former Cistercian Abbey, built in 1607
for Sir John Lockton, reusing abbey remains. Altered early C19
and C20. Coursed and squared limestone rubble, lined stucco,
hipped slate roof, limestone rendered ridge and wall stacks, and
brick gable stack. L-plan. Garden front of 2 storey plus
attics, 5 irregular bays, with tall plinth, ashlar first floor
band and moulded wooden eaves board, off-centre recessed C20 half
glazed door in contemporary wooden surround, with to right a
single and to left 3 glazing bar sashes with splayed ashlar
lintels and keystones. To first floor are 4 similar windows.
Below the band a C19 escutcheon. In the roof 3 dormer windows
with glazing bar sash and leaded segmental head. On the right
hand side, a reset C13 effigy of a knight, lower part missing,
in chain mail and surcoat, above a reset datestone, WEL 1607, for
Lockton. To the right a C19 stuccoed 2 storey single bay wing
with glazing bar sashes. In the left hand end a full height sash
window with above an armorial panel, inscribed ILF. Interior
largely refitted early C19 and C20, with stick baluster stair
with wreathed handrail, contemporary joinery fittings. The
abbey was founded in 1134 by Robert de Gresley and according to
tradition King John is supposed to have stayed here the night
after he lost his baggage in the Wash, 12th October, 1216.


Listing NGR: TF2494540722

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.