History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brook Manor House

A Grade II* Listed Building in West Buckfastleigh, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.4948 / 50°29'41"N

Longitude: -3.8154 / 3°48'55"W

OS Eastings: 271329

OS Northings: 67680

OS Grid: SX713676

Mapcode National: GBR QD.J9KY

Mapcode Global: FRA 27WR.CCV

Entry Name: Brook Manor House

Listing Date: 27 May 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1168435

English Heritage Legacy ID: 99422

Location: West Buckfastleigh, South Hams, Devon, TQ11

County: Devon

District: South Hams

Parish: West Buckfastleigh

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Buckfastleigh

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Listing Text

WEST BUCKFASTLEIGH
SX 76 NW

4/142 Brook Manor House
-
- II*

Former Manor House. Dated 1656. Stone rubble, partly slate hung and partly
rendered. Bituminised turned slate roof with gabled ends. Three storeys. Now
L-shaped on plan originally E-shaped but west (left hand) coving burnt down in
C19. The West wing (the original central range) has three-storeyed gabled porch
to right of centre with round arched doorway and hood moulds over first and blocked
second floor windows. Datestone 1656 over first floor window. To left two four-
light chamfered wooden mullion windows to hall and horizontally sliding sashes
above with glazing bars. Second floor blank. Large rendered external chimney
stack on rear wall. South east wing projecting on right hand has slate hung
west side and lean-to along ground floor. The east side of south east wing was
remodelled in circa early C19 to form principal front. Two storeys and attic.
Five bays. First floor slate hung. Ground floor two-light sashes with glazing
bars and first floor four two-light casements. Both ground and first floor windows
have dripmoulds. Four C19 gabled attic dormers. Central two storey gabled porch
with round arch doorway. Interior: Original inner door (of west wing) has heavy
moulded doorframe with carved steps and moulded and panelled door with wrought
iron door knocker inscribed RC 1656 (RC initials for Richard Cabell). Large
newel staircase to right of screens passage. Fireplace on rear wall of former
hall to left of screens passage, has chamfered granite jambs and wooden lintel
with ovolo moulding with gem-cut steps. Heavily moulded doorframes with carved
steps. Richard Cabell was Lord of the Manor of Brook. He was a man of very
ill repute and the subject of a local legend. It is said that on the night of
his death (allegedly 1677) black hounds, breathing fire and smoke, raced over
Dartmoor and surrounded Brook Manor House, howling. He is buried at Holy Trinity
Church, Church Hill, Buckfastleigh Teignbridge District qv and his tomb in the
churchyard was designed to imprison his remains and prevent his haunting the
neighbourhood. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle based "Hounds of the Baskervilles" on
this legend. -


Listing NGR: SX7132967680

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.