History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter and St Paul

A Grade II* Listed Building in Honing, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7994 / 52°47'57"N

Longitude: 1.4488 / 1°26'55"E

OS Eastings: 632588

OS Northings: 328002

OS Grid: TG325280

Mapcode National: GBR XH5.F3V

Mapcode Global: WHMSR.7W5S

Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul

Listing Date: 16 April 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1169952

English Heritage Legacy ID: 224275

Location: Honing, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR28

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

Parish: Honing

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Honing with Crostwight

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Listing Text

HONING LONG LANE
TG 32 NW
(west side)
6/60 Church of St. Peter
16.4.55 and St. Paul
- II*

Parish church. C15, rebuilt 1795. Knapped flint with ashlar dressings and
slate roofs. West tower, nave, aisles and chancel. 3 stage tower with
diagonal buttresses with flushwork panelling. Flushwork trefoiled arcade
to plinth. Wave moulded arched west doorway blocked with 3-light intersecting
window of 1795. Above is tall late C15 transomed 3-light panel traceried
west window. Square ringing chamber windows with cusped ogee tracery. 2-
light Perpendicular belfry windows below crenellated flushwork parapet.
Polygonal stair turret at north-east corner. Stepped aisle buttresses. C15
gabled south porch with blocked side windows. Wave moulded outer doorway
with arch on semi-circular responds. Wave moulded inner doorway below hood
mould on labels. Dentiled eaves cornice to porch and nave of 1795. All
remaining windows 1795 and intersecting : 4 to south aisle and one to north
aisle, all of 3 lights. Single bay chancel of 1795 with 3-light east window.
Brick repairs to north aisle buttresses. Interior. 5 bay arcade of elongated
octagonal piers 1795 standing upon altered Perpendicular bases. Arcades moved
north and south from original positions, increasing width of nave and reducing
that of aisles. 4-centred wave moulded arches. Roof of 1795 : tie beams
on straight braces, King posts with struts to principals, one tier
taper-tenoned butt purlins. Tall C15 tower arch with semi-circular responds
and continous wave mouldings. Similar chancel arch, the wave mouldings
enriched by additional hollow. Octagonal C15 font with traceried stem and
8 animal and grotesque heads supporting plain chamfered bowl. Bowl reduced
in height and now topped with octagonal C13 Purbeck marble bowl with 2 incised
pointed arches to each facet. North chancel arch pier retains stilted doorway
to rood stairs. Good late C13 angle piscina in chancel with trefoiled arch
supporting 3 encircled quatrefoils.


Listing NGR: TG3258828002

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.