This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8361 / 50°50'10"N
Longitude: -2.1428 / 2°8'34"W
OS Eastings: 390038
OS Northings: 104074
OS Grid: ST900040
Mapcode National: GBR 1ZP.K1Q
Mapcode Global: FRA 66DW.H10
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 14 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1171867
English Heritage Legacy ID: 103309
Location: Charlton Marshall, North Dorset, Dorset, DT11
District: North Dorset
Civil Parish: Charlton Marshall
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Charlton Marshall St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 90 SW BOURNEMOUTH ROAD
8/36 Church of St Mary
Parish church dated 1713 on nave wall and 1728 on tower downpipe. West tower
C15. C18 work probably by the Bastards of Blandford for Dr Sloper. C18 work
in flint with squared greensand blocks. C15 work in banded flint and rubble.
Ashlar dressings. Nave has tiled roof with stone slate margins and end stone
copings, tower and north aisle have flat lead roofs concealed behind parapets.
Nave and porch have ogee-moulded cornice. Plan: nave with continuous chancel;
north aisle-and organ chamber; west tower; south porch. West tower: 2 stages
separated by weathered string; square set buttresses; C15 casement moulded
window surround extending near to ground level containing C18 window with
round head and C18 doorway with plain pilaster surround and 6-fielded panel
door; upper stage has lancet partially obscured by clock face to south wall;
2-light, C15 belfry windows with square heads and Perpendicular tracery; C18
ashlar parapet with central pediments and pyramidal obelisks with ball finials.
All main C18 windows have semi-circular_heads with ashlar architraves and contain
leaded-lights. The north aisle has a plain parapet plat band and a moulded
parapet cornice. Doorways to chancel and organ chamber have plain ashlar
architraves and contain 5-fielded panel doors. Between nave and chancel and
at chancel ends and buttresses of 5 weathered stages which are presumably reset.
The south porch is gabled with a stone slate roof and has a semi-circular arch
with ashlar architrave bearing stone keystone and imposts. The stone coping
terminates in large sundial finial.
Internal features: C18, 5 bay north aisle with round arches springing from square
piers; pointed tower arch of 2 chamfered orders dying into responds; continuous
elliptical, plastered barrel-vaulted nave and chancel roof; coved wall plate;
carved oak reredos with fluted Corinthian pilasters and inscriptions; C18
communion rails with posts in form of Doric columns; C18 font with gadrooned
base and cover with pineapple finial; C18 octagonal pulpit with fielded marquetry
panels and sounding board; some C18 benches; C18 panelled doors; various C18 and
C19 monuments including several to members of the Bastard family. (RCHM, Dorset,
vol.III, p.57/58, no.1. Newman, J. and Pevsner, N. The Buildings of England:
Dorset, 1972, p141/2.) )
Listing NGR: ST9003804075
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings