This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7947 / 52°47'40"N
Longitude: 0.7865 / 0°47'11"E
OS Eastings: 587970
OS Northings: 325540
OS Grid: TF879255
Mapcode National: GBR R7N.TXF
Mapcode Global: WHKQC.10SV
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 6 March 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1172454
English Heritage Legacy ID: 223893
Location: Raynham, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR21
District: North Norfolk
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Raynham East St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TF 82 NE RAYNHAM EAST RAYNHAM
6/3/59 Church of St. Mary
Estate church in Park rebuilt by 5th Marquis of Townshend. 1866-1868 by Clark
and Holland of Newmarket architects at a cost of £5,000. Flint with stone
dressings, slated roofs except for leaded chancel. Despite dates not High
Victorian in style but still "archaeological" Decorated-Perpendicular in
detail and form, following in plan the church it replaced. West tower, nave
aisle and clerestory, north and south porches, chancel and south transpet.
Buttressed battlemented and pinnacled west tower with south stairs turret.
Perpendicular west window, Decorated belfry windows. Aisles with 3
Perpendicular windows, battlemented, porches with Decorated details,
battlemented clerestory with Perpendicular tracery. Decorated-Perpendicular
chancel with south transept expressed as a porch. 5 light Perpendicular east
window with head of the bishop and Queen Victoria. Interior : 3 bay nave
arcades, arched braced nave roof with exposed rafters and boarding. 3-light
stained tower west window c1868. Furnishings of 1868, including benches with
T monogram. C15 octagonal stone font with traceried stem and panels with
alternate roses and crosses. South aisle C15 brass figure with inscription
to George Townshed son of Roger Townshend armiger. Carved royal arms, Hanover,
of period 1714-1802. Painted hatchment to tower arch. Chancel, the gift
of the Rector Mr. Phayre, with 1868 furnishings and C19 Townshend family wall
monuments. North wall with 1499 freestone Easter Recess or monument
commemorating the Townshend family 1463-1493, tomb chest, panelled surround,
arched recess, attic. Recess figures fragments and niches. Funerary helm
above. Piscina with re-used Norman shafts. (Builder 1866 p 658).
Listing NGR: TF8797025540
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings