This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6616 / 50°39'41"N
Longitude: -2.6061 / 2°36'22"W
OS Eastings: 357254
OS Northings: 84836
OS Grid: SY572848
Mapcode National: GBR PT.745N
Mapcode Global: FRA 57FB.8HQ
Entry Name: Chapel of St Catherine
Listing Date: 26 January 1956
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1172576
English Heritage Legacy ID: 105189
Location: Abbotsbury, West Dorset, Dorset, DT3
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Abbotsbury
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Abbotsbury St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY 58 SE ABBOTSBURY ST CATHERINE'S HILL
5/70 CHAPEL OF ST CATHERINE
Chapel on hill-top. c 1400, repaired in 1742 and late C19. Dressed stone walls,
much weathered. Buttresses set back at corners and at bay divisions with 2 pairs
of set-offs, pedestal tops and crenellated cornices. Octagonal newel-stair
projects at the north-west corner, and is buttressed only to parapet string.
Openings to parapet walls and for top light. Tall parapet wall with 3 segmental
openings at foot of each bay for rainwater. Stone slab roof, recently (1983)
renewed in Clipsham stone. Single-cell rectangle with axial porches to north and
south. East window is of 3 cinquefoiled lights with vertical tracery in a two-
centred head. Label with returned stops. The second bays in the north and south
walls, each have a 2-light window with two-centred head, both repaired. Both
porches have steeply-pitched stone slab roofs, diagonal buttresses, and 2-centred
doorways with moulded jambs. Ribbed pointed-barrel roofs to porches.
Interior: pointed, barrel vault of stone, springing from moulded cornices, and
divided into 8 main bays by moulded ribs. Each bay has 2 ranges of 3 panels with
cinquefoiled heads. Basses are carved with foliage, 2 figure-subjects, a beast
and a man's head. East wall has 4 image brackets. South wall has a piscina with
trefoiled head and cinquefoil drain of leaf form. North west newel-stair to roof
and tiny chapel in the head of the stair-turret. This retains one of a pair of
stone supports for its altar slab, and has an ornate ceiling (partly reconstructed)
supported by a central column with a richly carved capital.
Scheduled Ancient Monument
(RCHM Dorset I, p 3 (2).)
Listing NGR: SY5725684836
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings