History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Church of St Bartholomew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Withycombe, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1471 / 51°8'49"N

Longitude: -3.4136 / 3°24'49"W

OS Eastings: 301215

OS Northings: 139594

OS Grid: ST012395

Mapcode National: GBR LM.8101

Mapcode Global: VH6GT.SF6J

Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew

Location: Withycombe, West Somerset, Somerset, TA24

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset

Parish: Withycombe

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Listing Date: 22 May 1969

Last Amended: 5 June 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 265393

Source ID: 1175299

Listing Text

ST03NW WITHYCOMBE CP
RODHUISH

12/110 Church of St Bartholomew
(formerly listed as Rodhuish
Church)

22.5.69

- II*

Chapel of ease formerly in Carhampton CP, now parish church. C15, refenestrated early C16, restored and roof repaired
1826, church restored 1924 and refitted mid C20. Roughcast over rubble, Treborough slate roof covering nave and
chancel, Nave and chancel without division, west bell tower, south porch. Single stage tower at west gable end,
2-centred lancet bell openings, pyramid slate roof, weathervane. West end unlit; south porch gabled with coped verges,
plain semicircular arched openings, late C20 wrought iron gate, 2-centred lancet on right return, C19 door in Tudor
arch head opening, 3-light cinquefoil headed mullioned window to nave, similar 2-light to chancel, 2-light trefoil
headed east window set to right of centre, 2-light chancel window north wall, large full height raking buttresses at
junction of nave and chancel, 2-light window north wall of nave. Interior: rendered. No chancel arch, tower pointed
arch about 1.8 metres high, unchamfered but with chamfered jambs. Open arch braced wagon roof to chancel, 3-bay arch
braced roof to nave, 2 trusses with tie-beams and kingposts, subsidiary rafters. C18 panelled west end gallery. C19 pine
pews. Two late C16-early C17 carved chairs, with religious scenes possibly depicting the departure of the Prodigal Son
and Christ blessing Mary Magdelene. Carved wooden aumbry possibly early C16. Norman circular pedestal font moved from
Carhampton Church in C19. Reredos with carved angel terminals by Rachel Reckett 1961; font cover, sconces and
candelabra by Jim Horrobin 1971; C19 altar rails said to have come from a church in Weston-Super-Mare, (Photograph in
NMR).


Listing NGR: ST0121539594

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.